PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Great review. I'll never begrudge anyone adding their thoughts on the pile. We've all got different tastes and perspectives so the more the better.

And like everyone else I like the match better than the current real thing. Cheaper to boot.

Reactions: Subsailor

Subsailor

Lurker
Mar 23, 2024
Virginia
If I recall correctly, @JimInks has written that Sutliff Match Victorian is closer to the Murray era Dunhill Elizabethan than the Peterson variety is.

Regardless, I know Match Victorian is my grab and go VaPer for good reason.
True. The Match was based on the Murray's version (discontinued in 2005), and not the Dunhill/Peterson productions that STG has made since.
I think happened to find that review! At least the one I just read is from 2012 and Jiminks said his wife said "Are you smoking that crap again? I thought they quit making it." hahaha

Subsailor

Lurker
Mar 23, 2024
Virginia
Great review. I'll never begrudge anyone adding their thoughts on the pile. We've all got different tastes and perspectives so the more the better.

And like everyone else I like the match better than the current real thing. Cheaper to boot.
Thank you sir.... I'm going to need to order some of this match stuff :)

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Nice write up. Elizabethan is one of my favorites especially with a few years on it. The match is also really nice.

Reactions: Subsailor

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As an inveterate bargain hunter on fixed income, I've always leaned into buying tobacco in bulk and I've tried the offerings of several companies.
When I started smoking a pipe 10 yrs ago! I was buying tins, samples sizes and tubs. I was attempting to taste as many of the touted blends as I could and I was really enjoying the journey. I found something to like in almost every single tobacco blend I smoked, IF I didn't quit on it after one or two bowls.
My first bulk forays were with C&D blending tobaccos and a few of their blends by the pound. Within a couple of years I gave D&R a try and thought, WOW! Not bad at all for such a nice affordable price. (affordable is a word that has a fluid definition, depending upon your health as much as your wealth.)
Only recently have I begun to appreciate Sutliff. The Match series has been a really nice addition to my tobacco rotation. I have intentions to try many more. Even Mixture 79.
In house as of now are: Match versions of Balkan Sobranie, ERR, Elizabethan, V.I.P. (?), Field and Stream,
The only D&R I have remaining is Picayune, and it is out of production. I've been using it sparingly, which is easy because this stuff is STRONG.