PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Well. Party’s over. Our local B&M was an Esoterica Oasis for some time with lots of blends usually available. Although expensive due to AK tobacco tax, they were almost always there and not TOO heinous price-wise. Now all of the sudden, the prices doubled, with Stonehaven and Penzance higher still at a whopping $45 per ounce in bulk. With a 2oz minimum that makes it $90 per tin. I could roll most blends up in a $5 bill each smoke and it wouldn’t cost that much. The craze has finally taken its toll in little old Alaska.

It’s a bummer. Glad I got my cellar well stocked beforehand. I’m all for supporting the little local guys, but especially with the recent online drops, I’m not sure what I can continue to justify purchasing there :(

Attachments

• 6AB242E2-0333-4910-A394-61E10D8C782D.jpeg
    6AB242E2-0333-4910-A394-61E10D8C782D.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 22

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That's rough man, but honestly I'm so tired of Esoterica flippers price gouging that I'd rather see the brick & mortar stores get the profit, rather than the flippers who buy it up at market rate, artificially increasing the scarcity and thus the price, and then flipping it for profit without adding any value in the process.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That's rough man, but honestly I'm so tired of Esoterica flippers price gouging that I'd rather see the brick & mortar stores get the profit, rather than the flippers who buy it up at market rate, artificially increasing the scarcity and thus the price, and then flipping it for profit without adding any value in the process.
I would certainly buy it there before ebay, for the same reason. Even the flippers are selling it for quite a bit less than $45 an oz though. But I think I'll stick with neither.....

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
What (or who ? ) is Hooligan?

I just dropped $55 for that 8 ounce bag of Margate at my B&M last week.

Just guessing, but it seems like 20% higher than the last B&M bag I got.

As the saying goes, it will never be cheaper nor more available than it is right now.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
What (or who ? ) is Hooligan?

Eulachon - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eulachon

I just dropped $55 for that 8 ounce bag of Margate at my B&M last week.

That would be $160 here at these new prices. If it were penzance or stonehaven, $360. A month ago it would have been half that. Literally cheaper to buy the equivalent weight in 2oz tins online. But yes, point taken. Everyone's prices seem to be rising, it was simply the degree at which they went up (double) that gave me the fear....

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
So Alaska has finally become Canada
Haha, we have been for a while with our 120% tobacco taxes. However, for the moment, we can still skirt those with online purchases from the lower 48 so AK remains > Canada. For the moment....

Outside the world of tobacco, I pray for AK to become part of Canada before I go to bed every night.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
WE seem to enjoy our high tobacco taxes up here. We do keep electing the culprits and, well ... they do give us a lot of free money every year. $1600.00 this go round deposited in my account next week. Oh, and no income tax. So, no nothing like Canada. I defy the Canucks to implement such a giveaway.

Last edited:

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Well. Party’s over. Our local B&M was an Esoterica Oasis for some time with lots of blends usually available. Although expensive due to AK tobacco tax, they were almost always there and not TOO heinous price-wise. Now all of the sudden, the prices doubled, with Stonehaven and Penzance higher still at a whopping $45 per ounce in bulk. With a 2oz minimum that makes it $90 per tin. I could roll most blends up in a $5 bill each smoke and it wouldn’t cost that much. The craze has finally taken its toll in little old Alaska.

It’s a bummer. Glad I got my cellar well stocked beforehand. I’m all for supporting the little local guys, but especially with the recent online drops, I’m not sure what I can continue to justify purchasing there :(

View attachment 3856

I like the part above that says the premium brands @10.00 except for the aleution @10.50...then Bam!

Esoterica 45 dollars!

Their marketing sucks and after not selling any the will lower their prices or start shipping it out!

How big is the market in AK for tobacco's?

That's cray cray!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Wow, that's nuts - not so much that they're asking so much, but that people actually pay it. What a bunch of jackasses.

My local B&M had a decent-sized drop. The guys that work there were just wishing it would sell out already (even at 25/tin, it's not moving all that fast). Sounds like it brings the assholes out of the woodwork and makes their lives miserable for a spell. They were complaining about some guy putting it on Instagram like he'd violated their sister. I swore I'd never go near the stuff, much less hustle for it, but it keeps falling in my lap lately, so I've tried some now. It's pretty good (the VaPers), but not all That, and I genuinely don't get the weird behavior it brings out. I'd way rather spend my dough on jumping beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.