PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I've been at it for 45 years. I think the cigar boom is responsible for your "missing generation". A lot of people looking for an alternative to cigarettes who might otherwise have picked up a pipe were drawn to the popularity of cigars.

chestercopperpot

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2011
I think some of it has to do with what we would call in the US the 'baby boom' generation, those born between 1945 and 1960-ish. They tended to shun old fashioned things of their fathers' generation.

atuukson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2011
Sweden
almost 1 year. but whit almost 30 pipes and ALOT of baccy i wont stop smoking for a loooong time :puffpipe:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I think we probably did skip 1 - 2 generations with pipe smoking.
There has been continued evidence over the last three years that pipe smoking has been on the rise and continues to be.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I think that the Baby Boomers seeing pipe smoking as old fashioned and the rise in cigar smoking could both help account for the statistics. The internet is also helpful as it makes much more choice available. Only the largest B&M tobacconists can offer anything like the selection available to most of us. That was one of the things that stopped me smoking a pipe the first time round, I never found the perfect tobacco for my tastes from the limited selection I could get back then. Not sure I have quite found that perfect smoke yet, but I'm enjoying the search and have found some blends that are pretty close. :)
What ever the reason, it is good to know that smoking a pipe has become ever more popular over recent years and is in no way a dying art. It's also good to see just how many years of experience there is amongst the forum members!

Status
Not open for further replies.