Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I live in Pleasanton, California, and the town next to me, Dublin, has an ordinance being considered to ban the sale of tobacco "within 1,000 feet of homes, schools, parks and day care centers"
Which will make most of the businesses who sell any kind of tobacco have to stop.
It doesn't really effect me personally because I don't shop there, but it seems like they're getting on a roll. If this passes it'll be "one of the strictest local tobacco sales laws in the state"
Legally speaking, I think a differentiation needs to be made between cigarette smokers and the rest of tobacco users. It's far easier to make yourself terminally ill with cigarettes than having a few bowls of pipe tobacco a day ... yet we are dealing with the same stereotype.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Well... for once in my image search, I found something I will not post. If you wish to be scarred not that surprised by the internet, google image "creepy ice cream van."
Instead:
6728414411_047d3a8693.jpg

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
That's ridiculous! I'm glad I don't live in Dublin. It's pretty bad when a sex offender could be closer to a school or day care than a store selling a perfectly legal product!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
What'll they think of next, eh ... I know, registered tobacco retailers!
Responsible parents will be able to go online, check the database ...
Why do I think there would be a lot of people out there thinking this would be a great idea.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When stuff like this is up in California I'm always reminded of Eddie Izzard, "You're suppposed to the out there fun state.".
I'd think a law like that would definately bring about many lawsuits. Especially these days with the economy already being bad enough as it is. Not a good time to make buisnesses go under and add to the ever growing list of unemployed.
Also I second that there needs to be a differntiation in tobacco products. Cigarettes are completely different from pipe tobacco or cigars.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
These idiots will put every convenience store out of business. I'd laugh if it was so pathetic.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah how many 12 year olds do you know are itching to smoke a pipe? Way too much entailed with pipe smoking for todays 12 year olds.
I think where the anti's fail is the fact that they're banning children from doing it. Why else does a child do something? Nine times out of ten it's because some adult told them not to do it.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Be afraid, be very afraid! All it takes is for some city counselman/woman to get a bug up their arse and go on a vendetta against legal businesses. I live across the bay from Pleasanton in San Mateo and I can remember when a councelman from Oakland (also nearby) decided to run all the gun shops out of Oakland. He succeded. Sh!t like this really pisses me off! :evil:

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Disgusting, absolute dictatorship. Those towns people better speak up b4 it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.