PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Dear friends,
I kick myself for what happened . Refurbishing a Patent Dunhill I found the stem entirely clogged with the usual grime and tars.
What always worked for me was to immerse the stem in alcohol and then remove the softened dirt etc. It It also softens up the oxidation nicely and makes it very easy to remove without too much of the tedious sanding.
I now entirely forgot ( while I know ) about the celluloid/ivorine dot and some of it dissolved because of the alcohol. Sheer horror.
It now "sunk"a little and discoloured to greyish, while it was so perfect. I contemplate filling it up with a simple white glue that dries somewhat semi-transparant. Liquid paper etc. will do not do for reasons of historical accuracy.
I'm a pipe refurbish nerd and such details matter to me. The purpose is to create that typical ivorine look.
Any advice would be most welcome :(

Dec 10, 2013
I always use the white dot material for restoring guitars from a company called StewMac.
View attachment 248830
View attachment 248831
Stew Mac is a fine company and the Mac family are wonderful people.
Meanwhile I ordered so many stuff from them. Coloured super glues, two-part epoxy resin;
fret erasers etc. You name it ; they have it. They also offered a free membership for one year, including free shipping, which I happily accepted. I'm located in the Netherlands so shipping free of charge matters to me.
Will contemplate ordering the little rods. For a possible mishappening in the future ; for this one I do not intend to drill out and replace the entire dot. Thank you for sharing :)

Reactions: gamzultovah
Dec 10, 2013
I always use the white dot material for restoring guitars from a company called StewMac.

They carry a lot of luthier products that work equally well for pipes. They sell some nice micromesh sanding sticks.
Thank you for sharing Brain. Sanding sticks I order by the dozens on Ebay. They come cheap and the quality is fair. We cannot do without sanding sticks/nailbuffers and I'd be lost without them jobbies :)

Reactions: bluegrassbrian
Dec 10, 2013
It is not my intention to replace the dot, The damage is very shallow and minute ; I feel like filling it up a little..
Could be something liquid, I now contemplate crushing some white antler to very fine dust and add an adhesive.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A picture would likely help get better answers.

I use white acrylic nail polish for white stamped stem logos (like Peterson).

Do you have a "before" picture of the dot, to determine what color to use?

Stew-Mac does make wonderful items, but they do not have many color choices. The nail polish would have many shades of white to choose from, and likely available at local beauty stores.

I doubt many (any) here have had to repair a celluloid Dunhill dot (save George D, who likely drills/replaces). So, you are in virgin territory.

Reactions: orlandofurioso