Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I use matches mostly. I always carry an Old Boy that uses flints and butane. It has held up well and is dependable as long as I do not open the top when stuffing it into my jeans. I have only done it twice, but the second time it happened I knew what to expect when it came out of my pocket with the lid already up. :cry: Thank God for matches.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
haja-vi.jpg
Here's pipe mud in yer eye!

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
When home, I've taken to doing initial lights with matches and then relights with my Zippo w/pipe insert. Tough to beat a Zippo ihmo. In the truck I tend to use Bics or other disposable butane lighters, just seems easier to manage when driving. On those occasions when I burn myself and end up dropping the lighter, it just goes out; the reliable Zippo won't. I know.
I've considered getting a Corona Old Boy, they seem very popular, but they're so expensive and I can't imagine they work any better.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I use an Old Boy, Zippo with Thunderbird pipe insert, a Vector Pipe lighter, Djeep, Bic, matches, and a couple of Imco's.....the Imco's are flint and get the most use. I like the old G77 the best here at altitude, wish they still made it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's stupid expensive and not practical I know, but I have a DuPont lighter I've had for years and it still lights on the first try every single time and the flame is adjustable depending to ones personal perfrance. They can, on rare occasions, be found "cheaper" used. Just thought I'd through that into the mix

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
iamn8: If you amortize the initial cost against the number of Bics, or whatever, you would have purchased over the years it was not a "stupid expensive" investment. You probably did very well! Congratulations! Money well spent, even if unintentionally. We should all do so well with our moneys.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
zippo from amazon with the pipe insert (not butane) works great for me. Prime shipping on it too! good luck

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
I have the Zippo w/ pipe insert from Amazon ($15). I also picked up the Vertigo lighter which has the tool kit attached and I think it was about $20, maybe a couple bucks less. I prefer the lighter because I'm still figuring out best packing/lighting technique and not charring the rim or the bowl. I find myself going through a lot of matches and gets a little annoying watching the bowl and then get about 2 puffs a match and then need to light another match before burning my fingers.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Warren, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my thinking. I've always had a love for well engineered, beautifully build objects of a singular purpose, something of heirloom quality. The DuPont certainly meets those requirements and is a joy to use.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I've had my trusty Zippo pipe lighter for years and it has never let me down.

I've tried wooden matches but I seem to fuss too much and take to long when lighting up and end up burning my fingers?? lol

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 on getting a decent lighter which really saves money over buying replaceable cheapies ( oh, and usually you can recoup most of your investment ). I had a Dunhill Rollagas which I sold off to a member here. I bought the Corona Pipe Magie, a shameless copy of the Rollagas, seems to work quite well after a year in service. Just don't use shit flints and shit butane and you'll be okay.
To the OP : IMO none of the "tools attached" lighters available on the market work too well. If you smoke 2 bowls a week, they will do. If your pipe is a very elegant system of delivering nicotine, as I admit it to be my case, a more expensive lighter that will work for years and a tamper, or matches and a tamper, would be more appropriate.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
P.S. The "tamper" that pulls out of the Old Boys and knockoffs is rather designed to be a flat blade screwdriver for adjusting the flame :crazy:

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Not much to add from what has already been said. I mostly use matches, the smaller wooded ones.......they are cheap and you can control and direct the flame easily. I have a Zippo and it works well, plus it's just a cool artifact. One advantage of a lighter over matches, beside convenience, is being windproof for lighting up outdoors, and I guess that's what gives a Zippo an advantage over other lighters.

Speaking of cool lighters, when I was a kid I had a really neat lighter: it was like a Zippo, but it had a brass tube that came up from the tank and was bent at an angle. It worked as a pipe lighter by tilting the lighter so that the flame from the chimney would heat the tube, and then.....voila! flame issues from the end of the tube, like a mini blowtorch. It disappeared years ago and I have searched on-line for a picture or info on what type of lighter it was, who made it, etc., but have not been able to find any info on this lighter. Anyone familiar with this type of lighter?

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I smoke outside and in a windy climate as well so matches are just torture devices for me. Ultra refined butane is a priority as the cheap stuff I found out over time ruined many lighters that would still work if I used the good stuff. 5x refined is what I use and the Corona flints as well. One "good" quality lighter I've had for less than two years broke on me. A good Lotus lighter I love is going tits on me now. I bought a new IM Corona Old Boy and it works flawlessly. I also bought an IM copy of the Dunhill Rollagas from the 1970's and it works wonderfully too. I have found you get what you pay for in most things in life and those expensive lighters just work period.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
+1 on the IMCO pipe lighters. I picked mine up about 2 weeks ago from my local BM and it is fantastic. Comes with the cool little pipe tools in the back of it as well. I generally just use a basic lighter or matches but I really enjoy the IMCO. I never bought one because I loose everything. So we will see how long this lasts me!

Status
Not open for further replies.