PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Apparently abandoned centuries ago because their briar was too soft!
Xxxxx

For years, he and his colleagues had been exploring the archaeological site of Ain Boucherit in Algeria’s High Plateaus, just an hour’s drive from the Mediterranean at the continent’s northern edge.

Xxxxx

Doubtless a cover story for the authorities of the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria.

Under cover of exploring for archeological relics the grandsons of Marx and Mincer and Dunhill toil for the precious, ancient, primordial red root.

Even yet, we may have more ancient Algerian.

That’s obviously a Berber pipe tool, wide enough for a Custombilt.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In all seriousness, there is an oxbow in Turkey Creek with a mound in the middle, on our farm.

When I was about eight some archeologists from the University of Missouri came to our place and informed my father that mound, they were fairly certain was an Osage ceremonial burial mound.

We all walked down to it, and the scholars explained how the Osage would have made the channel and mounded up dirt in the middle, in the style they used almost a thousand years ago.

They asked permission to excavate.

My father said one of his ancestors was an Osage princess, married a Thompson, and she was buried over at Lindley Prairie Cemetery by Bear Creek.

He said I’d as soon you dig her up as them. Let them rest where they are.

However he said you can dig all you want around it. I’d like to know how they built it.

They found some arrowheads and a few stone tools, not much about the construction of the mound.

Some grad student called me about ten years ago and I told them the same thing.

I wonder how long our five dollar pipe tools will last in the ground?

Reactions: El Capitán

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
For maybe twenty years now I’ve been buying and losing this five dollar red handled pipe tool.

I just bought four more for twenty bucks, and waited a month for them to arrive from China.

The makers have actually improved these tools and lowered the price over the two decades I’ve used them. Instead of actual rosewood they are laminates, but the springs are better, the heads never fall off, and the pick and scoop/scraper blades are beefier.

These are a bit classier than the ordinary Czech tool that I also buy and lose.

They have a set of hidden legs that causes them to walk off.

But those who haven’t discovered how good these are, if you can spare five bucks you can see for yourself.

View attachment 277741
View attachment 277742
View attachment 277743
This is exactly what I use. I lost one a couple months ago and used a czech tool till I just got the replacement. These look super classy to my taste and my only problem with them is, as you say, their tendency to grow legs and walk off!

Reactions: Briar Lee