PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
A blend I have become fond of is McClellands Black Shag. It is sweet without being an aromatic and does not pack much punch in the nic dept

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
A blend I have become fond of is McClellands Black Shag. It is sweet without being an aromatic and does not pack much punch in the nic dept
Just tried this one today and I like it as well for the same reasons.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Im fully in now guys: went from all aros to......
Frog Morton Cellar

PS Luxury Navy Flake

PS Luxury BUllseye Flake

Dunhill Nightcap
Safe to say I like my non-aro, english, va/per blends now!

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I was going to start a thread on this same subject, but this one is already off to the races so I'll ask my questions here.

Is it the latakia that gives off the smokey, tangy flavour ?

I have some E Hoffman Spillman mixture and Frog Morton Cellar that I can taste this, the Spillman mixture I can't stomach but with the Frog Morton that taste is not as pronounced so it is at least tolerable for me.

I am looking for a first non aro that doesn't have that smokey tangy taste.

I spent lots of time last night in the tobacco review section and also on tobaccoreviews.com and am now more confused that I was before.
Mark

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
@wolfe64 Go with Ps Luxury Navy Flake or Bullseye Flake. Its more of a smoother smoke with some spicey perique and a kinda farm/hay smell. Its a great smoke. And a slow burner!

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks for the info jiujitsubowl, much appreciated.

I do have Astleys #109 Medium Flake on my want list at Smoking Pipes, and I will research others now that I know what I am looking for.

But if anyone has other suggestions feel free to chime in !!!
Mark

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Since you started with aromatics which for the most part are burley, Virginias, or a combination of the two, you may want to try Burley or Bur/Va blends. I like C&D's Pegasus which is a blend that contains burley/Virginia and unsweetened Cavendish. It is medium strength and is a burley forward blend. Think a step above Prince Albert for comparison. It can be an all day smoke that won't tire out your palate and can be smoked back to back with no problems. It is sold in bulk or tin and can easily be purchased at most online tobacconists for a reasonable price.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My first non aro was Escudo and I rapidly developed a fondness for it. It's a brilliant va/per that's just right. PS Bullseye is similar and quite good and always available in bulk so you can buy a small quantity to sample.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Old Dublin is an excellent suggestion. The way I understand it, the difference between an "English" style and a "Scottish" style is the addition of a cavendished tobacco makes it a "Scottish" style. I honestly don't pick up the cavendish component in Old Dublin, or in MM965, for that matter. I would grab an ounce of each and give them a whirl.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I see a great deal of discussion over Nightcap. Recommendations asked: would this be a good non-aero who smokes primarily 5100 Red Cake and Trout Stream, with an occassional tin of Cherry Ambrosia and Golden Extra? I need to broaden my repertoire, but i don't like explosive baccys.

May 4, 2015
Nightcap, in my opinion, isn't as strong nicotine-wise as a lot of people claim. It is definitely full in flavor, latakia forward, and funky with perique. There isn't anything subtle about it, that's for sure, but you aren't going to like... black out for an hour after smoking it or anything.
I recommend it to everyone! It burns great, like all the nice ribbon-cut Dunhill stuff, and the bulk is the same as the tin - to me anyway.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
With all this discussion about Nightcap, I wnet ahead and ordered a tin, with some other standby goodie tins. But be prepared to see a tin of Nightcap available for trade, since i'm not overly fond of perique.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I'm still new only my second summer of piping and I started with aro's as well . Have to say I didnt enjoy most of them and I wanted to move on. I recently purchased a tin of Orlik Golden slice which is very good Sweet taste with I don't know something else but I really like it. 1 tin of Mac Barren Navy Flake Which to me is spicy /sweet and One tin of H&H classic Barley Kake which is awesome Sweet flavor from start to finish. These 3 products have opened doors for me this summer that have made my pipeing more enjoyable

Status
Not open for further replies.