PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Solid choice. It may not be to everyone's tastes, but I don't think anyone would argue that it's not good stuff. And you get a cool little chunk of wood that smells like whiskey. That's always cool.

May 4, 2015
Precisely. And don't waste your time weighing anything before you make a deposit or withdraw from your off-site cellar. It'll be all good, man.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Frog Morton Cellar is a great way to try latakia, and a lot of people refer to it as the Gateway or Crossover baccy!
FMC is appreciated by many, aro and English fan alike. I gravitate toward it in the fall as it begins to cool. Enjoy!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I would try an English and Virginia or VA/PER. The English mixs are a little easier to "get", and will introduce you to latakia and that king of all tobaccos, the Oriental tobacco. Just jump in and get a few tins of each type, you will be spending all your spare cash on TAD soon anyway, may as well get it going early. Just make sure your first Virginia isn't Gawith 1792 like mine was. I nearly quite pipes altogether I was so sick. Here are a few I would suggest.
English

Rattray Highland Targe

Dunhill 965

Dunhill Early Morning (learn to love Oriental)

Lane LEO

McClellands Green Tins, or Frog Morton
Virginia and VaPer

Anniversary Kake

Escudo

Stokkebye Bullseye, or any of the other flakes

McClelland Virginia Woods

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
If you are going to try an English blend, before you smoke it, have a good meal in your stomach. This will help counter the 'nic hit'. If you feel a little woozy, stop and put down the pipe until you feel better, you can always go back to it.
You already have great suggestions here, so here are my top 3 plus ones;

+1 Night Cap

+1 Frog Morton (Cellar)

+1 Escudo
Two more Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River and SPC Plumb Pudding.
Cheers. :puffy:

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
thanks @rolldog. I am being told that once i take a hit of Frog Morton, its over, i will be a non-aro smoker haha. Anyone try the other frog morton blends? Some are less Latakia then others.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Re other Frog Morton blends, I've been a fan of Across the Pond for a while. It has lighter Syrian Latakia in place of Cyprian, leaves an aftertaste that's hard to describe but I like it.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
I liked it so mich i gave my dunhill night cap a shot. I actually liked that alot as well. But i will admit the nicotine increase i definitly felt. I did eat right before so that helped. I think i have tastebuds for english blends!

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
I liked it so mich i gave my dunhill night cap a shot. I actually liked that alot as well. But i will admit the nicotine increase i definitly felt. I did eat right before so that helped. I think i have tastebuds for english blends!

sagepipe

Lurker
Nov 27, 2014
Nightcap was my first crossover to non-aromatics. I'm delighted to see that of others as well. I'm glad my crossover was directly to something "strong" because I realized very quickly that "strong" does not mean overwhelming. It opened my world to trying virtually any kind of blend.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Nightcap is the most awesome tobacco I've ever smoked. Unfortunately, the Perique in it burns my mouth fiercely.
Frog Morton, other Dunhills (965, EMP) are ALMOST as good, and they are the ones I smoke daily, but I really, really want to be able to smoke Nightcap. The Perique just adds that "something special" to the taste.
Dang it!
Edit - Hey, 100 posts. I'm gold instead of green, now. I have arrived!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Old Gowrie is hard to beat as a first step.

Spend some time on Tobacco Reviews. Take the excellent suggestions in this thread, and do some due diligence. It will save you some grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.