A Dinner With New Neighbors - What's On Your Plate?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Radice Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
72 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Went to dinner with a couple that just moved into the neighborhood. The conversation eventually went into the direction of the most unusual foods we have eaten. When it was my turn I said I have eaten filly mignon. The woman says.
“Oh Frank. That’s not an unusual meal. I’ve eaten filet mignon many times. Haven’t you?”
“Yes. I have devoured filet mignon often times.” I answered. “But I didn’t say filet mignon. I said I ate filly mignon.”
Neighbor lady looks at my wife as if to say. “What am I missing here?”
My wife looks at neighbor lady and says. “Just ignore him.”
“It’s the truth.” I said to my wife. “You know that. I used to bring filly mignon home.”
Neighbor lady now stares confusingly at her husband.
Neighbor husband says to his wife. “I think Frank is saying he ate horse meat.”
Neighbor lady was chewing on a potato and nearly choked on it.
“OMG.” You ate a horse?”
“Well no. Not the entire horse.”
“But. But…how could you?”
“It was fried in a pan. Doesn’t take long to cook either. Kinda tasted like a cube steak.”
After neighbor lady took a few sips of her wine and calmed down I explained to her that back in the early 1970’s I used to work in a place called the Working Man’s Tavern. A beer and shots bar that sold different foods. At one time they had Filly Mignon on the menu,
“But that’s disgusting.” She said. “The poor horses.”
“Look. The horses were better off on the grill. Here’s why. There was a horse race track right down the road from the tavern. Some of the losing horses were old and ready for the glue factory. Their horse racing days were over. So the tavern would get those losers.
The Filly Mignon menu on the wall read:
1st Place

2nd Place

3rd Place

Or 4th Place, This Place”

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Now that was an interesting story. Yea same here if the horse was going to be put down there is no reason to waste the meat. There is more to a horse than just racing and glue.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Very popular in Quebec. My wife was horrified when I told her that I ate dolphin meat few times.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
At our local Chinese buffet, I sampled the Moo Goo Gai Feline which was ok, and the Sweet and Sour Canine, which was kind of stringy.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I ate ostrich steak. Rather similar to beef. In fact, if I had been told that it was beef with some special, secret seasonings, I would have believed it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My father enjoyed some horse burgers in a neighborhood Chicago bar/restaurant. It was wildly popular as a hamburger joint; most the patrons didn't know or didn't care what meat it was. I had it once, was o.k., but nothing to whinny about.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
At our local Chinese buffet, I sampled the Moo Goo Gai Feline which was ok, and the Sweet and Sour Canine, which was kind of stringy.
Just where do you live Sea Captain? I am calling bs. I bet you've been eating snakes too.

rist

Lurker
Dec 18, 2016
Here in Belgium horse meat is extremely popular, we eat it smoked, salted, as sausages or steaks... we even fry our french frites in horse tallow.

I guess even more weird for most American here is that we eat plenty of totally uncooked raw beef and pork(just roughly chopped or minced) with the addition of a raw egg most of the time.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
rist nothing wrong with biftec tartar :lol: Although the best I have ever had, I must admit, was in Poland, not in Belgium.
Horse meat ... I had that on several occasions. I remember when I was a child, during the communist times, horse salami was quite popular. Not because it was some kind of delicacy, but because pork or beef was not available since uncle Nic decided to export it all.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wife and I were on a trip in Rome and we decided to poke around the local grocery store as we like to do. While going down the baby aisle we found horsemeat baby food. I was a little shocked, but to each their own I guess.
209975_2.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
As a Cajun That went in a zoo and looked puzzled looking at the description plackerd, where's the cooking instructions.he said. I have eaten a lot of unusual meals. I drew the line at baby monkey on a spit, looked like a baby. Had some Dutch friends that pined for horse meat liveing in the States. Frank loved the menu! :laughat:

Ha ha, I have never eaten horse, but I too have eaten some things that city folk thinks is "unusual." I have never heard of an animal that just didn't seam totally plausible to eat. How does someone get finicky like that?
And, there are some things that my friends have questioned me on. "Why would you want to save the spotted owl, or sea otter, or whooping crane. You some sort of hippie."
Nope, I just hate to see something that looks that tasty vanish off the planet, before I get to eat it. :puffy:

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
I guess even more weird for most American here is that we eat plenty of totally uncooked raw beef and pork(just roughly chopped or minced) with the addition of a raw egg most of the time.
I don't think it is that weird here anymore. Many people are catching on to tartare either because the big city restaurants want to be edgy, or the health benefits. There are some dentists out there that promote it because all the nutrients that you get are good for your teeth.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Just where do you live Sea Captain? I am calling bs. I bet you've been eating snakes too.
I used to live on a ship but there was an unfortunate incident and it sunk.
I've never eaten snakes. Whale though.

I've had grilled rattlesnake a few times. The only uncle of mine that I didn't get along with was also Special Forces in Vietnam, and he would sometimes come out of the woods with these huge timber rattlers and grill them up for us when he visited. The guy was a total asshat to interact with, but he cooked a tasty snake. Other than that... and beer consumption, he wasn't good for much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.