PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
I've noticed the last while that my hard palate (the fancy term for the roof of your mouth) has a small irritated patch on the left hand side (just feels slightly inflamed/raised, and ever so slightly rough). I clench my pipe on the right side of my mouth, hanging down freely, so the stem is angle to direct the smoke just that spot, most of the time. I have changed my habit and moved the pipe around my mouth in different spots, as well as stopped clenching exclusively to spread things out a bit. The spot hasn't gotten any worse, but hasn't improved much, so I am planning to take a few weeks off smoking and check in with my dentist for the heck of it.
Does anybody else notice anything with the roof of their mouth? Nicotine stomatitis (smokers palate) is a possibility, this being perhaps the very beginning of it-- which you can think of as a stepping down to a true leukoplakia, which is itself precancerous. I smoke very little-- 1 bowl per day, 6 days per week, with one day off. Once in a while I sneak an extra bowl, if the first one was a very small pipe. So I am curious if any very heavy smokers here have experienced smokers palate, "callousing" of the roof of the mouth, etc.

Mar 1, 2014
One time when I was starting out I managed to give myself a great big sore on the side of my cheek. I decided that "because it doesn't hurt" I could direct smoke to that spot as much as I wanted. Well, at least it didn't hurt until the flesh started peeling off.
Always move the pipe around in your mouth as you're smoking. It also helps when you figure out that sucking on the stem like you're in a milkshake drinking contest is a horribly bad idea under any circumstances.
Even with best practices it seems that my entire mouth is very sensitive though, it only takes one or two moderately strong draws to make my entire mouth feel dry, and quickly becoming sore after that. Basically the only exposure to smoke that I'm allowed is the absolute lightest of sips, barely any movement of air at all. Smoking a pipe is becoming as much about the aroma as anything, but given how much I love the smell of Latakia that's not quite as disappointing as it might sound.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I 've found that the "roughness" on the roof of my mouth is not so bad if I keep sipping a drink (usually water or filter coffee).

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
You may also be drawing too forcefully.
Probably not-- I am a breath smoker, and I usually make a tiny pipe like a MM Eaton or group 1 briar last for an hour. I do tend to allow the pipe to go out, and DGT. Relights can be hot, but I try to be are gentle as possible with the resuming light.
Smoking a pipe is becoming as much about the aroma as anything, but given how much I love the smell of Latakia that's not quite as disappointing as it might sound.
In my opinion, smoking is almost 100% about the aroma. Without the nose, smoking is simply not enjoyable for me. I won't smoke with a cold. Flavor, really means aroma to a large degree. Same goes for food-- mouth feel is important (as with smoke), but the smell is an integral part of the whole thing. Try plugging your nose while smoking if you don't believe me!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
2 dentist's appts ago, the hygienist told me I had "pipe stomatitis". Other than dryness, I never felt anything from it. My dentist also gave advice to keep moving the bit around my mouth to share the joy more evenly.(my words for it) On the very few times I've allowed less mindfulness in my pipe smoking rituals, I do notice "hot spots" on my tongue and cheek sometimes which remind me that the moving around is a good idea.(Not to mention great fodder for tongue-in-cheek comments!)

:puffy:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Stomatitis??? Leukoplakia??? LOL! People need to stop consulting Dr. Google. Neither of those would present as a solitary, localized spot on the hard palate. Completely different symptomology.
Sometimes ducts up there get congested causing bumps.

Bwahahahahaha! There are no ducts of any kind on the hard palate. A few taste buds, yes.
OP you are probably continually burning/irritating that area. Warm rinses with saltwater several times a day will help toughen the tissue. Then keep the pipe away from it, sip slowly, move it around, and avoid clenching while actively puffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.