PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Great looking Brighams! One of my favourite pipes is a Mountaineer Volcano #384. :puffy:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Something about that Volcano shape that sings to me for sure. I find myself reaching for them more often than not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always liked the look of Brighams. How do they smoke without the rock maple inserts? An additional filtering system to keep up with or circumvent isn't appealing. Are Brighams currently made in Canada, or have they long since de-camped to Italy, France, or elsewhere? Brigham certainly has a good way with traditional shapes and variations.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I was blown away by the latest batch of Brighams I saw. Amazing grain, nice finishes.
I have been, generally, pleased with the pipes currently coming out of France. The Chinook, The Klondike and The Acadian finishes, I believe, are the three lines currently being made in France. The Acadian all appear to be a cut above in terms of selecting briar for grain, and grain alignment in the shaping of the stummel.
I have a Chinook which is in my regular rotation, and have a number of friends here who have Chinooks, all of who swear by them as solid smokers.
This being said, I've heard my fair share of complaints from friends about some of the lower grade pipes coming out of Italy. Issues with mortise/tenon fitment, drilling, whistling, and moisture are common among my friends who have purchased recent pipes of these lower grades.
$0.02 in the bucket.
-- Pat

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Something about that Volcano shape that sings to me for sure. I find myself reaching for them more often than not.
I agree, great looking pipes and they feel real nice in hand too.
I have a Chinook which is in my regular rotation, and have a number of friends here who have Chinooks, all of who swear by them as solid smokers.
I have a Chinook Canadian and it is a smart looking pipe, very formal looking. It's a pleasure to smoke and one that I choose often when I'm going out somewhere. :puffy:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
MSO,

I've smoked my Brighams with and without the rock maple filters. I prefer smoking them with the filter in. Doesn't restrict the smoke or take away from the smoking experience IMHO. I also now smoke all of my cobs with the filters in as well.

Current Brighams are all made in France or Italy. I have 5 Brighams. The only one made in Canada is the estate Brigham Sportsman I bought off of Ebay. The two in the pictures are both made in Italy. My Mountaineer #84 is also made in Italy as is my Chinook. The Chinook is a #47 which I don't care for and of all my Brighams it is the only one that seems to smoke hot or warm depending on your definition of hot.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I personally think the rock maple "filter" shouldn't really be called a filter. I DO use them for catching moisture, but they are a hollow tube, so do they actually 'filter'? I smoke my Lorenzetti's a lot more than anything else.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I think Brigham's are some of the most underated pipes out there. They smoke and look great. I use and dont use the filter depending on my mood. I did have one give me some trouble with the tenon and shank meeting good, and the draw seemed off. So I cut the tenon back to a standard size tenon and now use balsa filter and fits better and smokes like a dream. I see them on ebay alot and can pick one up for good price.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I personally think the rock maple "filter" shouldn't really be called a filter.
They are usually found for sale with the other filters and are called filters more out of habit I think. Brigham actually calls them "Rock Maple Inserts" not filters. :puffy:

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Does anyone know when Sportsmans were last produced?
This is from the Brigham website:

Brigham Sportsman pipes were made available only available in 300, 400 and 500 series. Given changes to our manufacturing process, these pipes have become a collectors item and your local Dealer may indeed still have some set aside for those interested. Check our Dealer Search button to find a Dealer near you! 
Were all Sportsman pipes made in Canada?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I found those two beauties at a B&M in Edmonton, Alberta (Burlington on Whyte Ave.) at a 20% percent off of regular price sale and just couldn't pass them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.