PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
Here’s a very interesting article by Chuck Stanion dated January 13, 2023:

——

Grain is made up not only of capillaries but of growth rings. Most noticeable on sandblasted pipes, though discernible on smooth pipes with excellent grain as well, growth rings may be envisioned by imagining the spherical burl. As years go by, the sphere grows in annual layers that sheath the root ball, layer after layer, outward from the center and bisecting the capillaries at nearly right angles.

It has been my experience that a piece of briar with extremely close together growth rings, is the most reliable indicator of smoking quality.

Beautiful grain figure sells pipes.

Denser briar smokes better.

You can have dense briar with growth rings only a razor blade width apart on a stunningly grained piece of briar.

But in my experience the two are usually not compatable. A dense piece of briar is usually plain and a fancy one is not as dense.

BL - How does this relate to your marshmallow briar hypothesis? Can it be both porous and dense? I wonder how ironwood smokes? I wonder if there will ever be a theoretical way one could exceed the speed of light.

• Haha
Reactions: jipper

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have never cared for where Briar comes from, if a pipe smokes great what does it matter, I have a Dr Grabbow freehand that a American friend sent me as a joke. it has Imported Briar stamped on it and it smokes brilliantly, never fails, I have very early Petersons that have been smoked to death and they still smoke great, I never do deep cleaning on pipes and all of my 300ish pipes smoke great, if a pipe doesn't work for me after a little work it is binned.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
BL - How does this relate to your marshmallow briar hypothesis? Can it be both porous and dense? I wonder how ironwood smokes? I wonder if there will ever be a theoretical way one could exceed the speed of light.

I admit it’s against expectations.

Algerian briar grew slowly in the mountains, in extremely harsh conditions.

The growth rings, if visible, are very tight, maybe a razor blade apart. It’s dense.

You’d expect dense briar to be hard. It should be heavier, and not porous.

It’s the opposite. It seems soft and light and porous to an extreme. There’s more air in it, and less solids. It’s a poor conductor of heat and an excellent insulator, and nearly fireproof.

Why, you tell me.

It ought to be backwards.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Imagine if @Briar Lee were to get himself a translucent meerschaum
We’d be inundated with updates after each smoke :eek:
Ha ha. Oh my, once he purchases and smokes a Castello, it will all be over and he will be stuck with 300 cheap dime store pipes. He just has NO IDEA….until he actually does it.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I for one do think briar affects flavors and no I don't know how. Just know every pipe I've had tasted different.
I will say I don't have the same experience, but given all of the things we know change our food and drink, that it would be counterintuitive to think that the material of our pipes doesn't have at least a detectable effect on flavor. In my own experience, (and I'm not a super taster), I can taste the hardwood charring in a new MM cob, and I can taste the warm corn flavor in my old broken in cobs. I can taste when my cast iron skillet needs to be re-seasoned, or when I cook on a propane grill instead of coal. So, even if it's not my experience, I think it's plausible enough not to poop on the idea. On the other hand, there are all sorts of variables at work...and it wouldn't do to let the ol' post hoc ergo us right in the propter hoc, ya know?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Ha ha. Oh my, once he purchases and smokes a Castello, it will all be over and he will be stuck with 300 cheap dime store pipes. He just has NO IDEA….until he actually does it.

This Victors Hand Made Algerian Briar Poker just cost me $25 delivered.

IMG_6239.jpegIMG_6240.jpegIMG_6241.jpegIMG_6242.jpeg
IMG_6245.jpeg

Since there’s no nation of origin stamp that’s American made, of fancy Algerian briar. It’s likely older than I am. It’s guaranteed to be a dynamite smoker and it will color a dark oxblood red.

If Castello could buy that briar they would not.

High dollar pipes today must look good above all else,

All good briar smokes very well.

Algerian was difficult to get a beautiful grained specimen and most folks like a new looking pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_6243.jpeg
    IMG_6243.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
FWIW my experience with the coloring process seems to be completely random. Some color quicker than others, some color more evenly than others. I haven’t identified any correlation between briar origin, coating, or anything else and the above.

My theory at this point is that the natural consistency inside the wood, regardless of the source, finish, etc. likely has more to do with it than anything else.

But I will casually remind all parties, that I don’t know shit about shit.

Reactions: jipper

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m so lost….🤷‍♂️

I did that one, to see the grain. I usually don’t.

It came the typical Marxman reddish brown.

IMG_6049.jpeg

Algerian briar is powder soft. I avoid using even 4/0 steel wool to preserve lettering.

I cleaned it using hot water and it was varnished or shellacked (extremely rare for a Marxman) and the wood turned almost white. No grain showed whatsoever.

So I put a drop or two of grapeseed oil on a section of paper towel.

IMG_6107.jpeg

And two smokes later

IMG_6108.jpeg

Four

IMG_6119.jpeg

Five

IMG_6122.jpeg

Here’s a close up of little black spots where something was oozing out.

IMG_6246.jpeg

That is an extreme example of how fast a Marxman colors and I think I know why.

That’s a $15 “Big Boy” size Super Briar (just barely). It was an expensive pipe.

It was butter soft, so soft they quit trying to polish it and put a coat of something on it.

The coloring is because they are so porous.

What the color is, might be tannins, oil used to cure it, or tars from the smoke.

But they color to an oxblood reddish brown.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Comparing these old Algerian pipes to Castello or other higher end pipes is laughable. It is like comparing a Chinese made motorcycle to a Porsche. Yes, both allow you to feel the wind in your hair. That’s where the comparisons end.

Marx began production in 1934 ended production in 1953.

He made what sold during the time period.

Tracy Mincer also used Algerian and made rustic pipes.

IMG_6032.jpeg

Here’s a 1934 Dunhill sandblast

IMG_6156.jpeg

A forty something Tom Howard Aged Algerian

IMG_6154.jpeg

Now compare a modern Upshall Tishead

IMG_6160.jpeg

The Tishead has no fills, is Big Boy size, the craftsmanship is flawless, and Marx probably never touched a piece of that hard, straight grained briar.

But I think the classic Algerian reddish brown is why so many high end pipes today are stained a reddish brown.

• Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Van. Castello. Smoke one. You’ll never look back. Oil Cured Radice Rind - much better than ANY of my Marxman pipes. Not even close.

You’ll get me hooked on pipes that cost ten times what a Marxman does.:)

I do have a few high end pipes, and they smoke mild and sweet like a Lee.

Algerian briar is like Mad Dog 20/20.

For addicts only.