PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I too have quite a few cigars in my humidor but I have no interest in them. I let my friends smoke them while I puff on my pipe
They are very happy with this arrangement
Allan

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I've been smoking pipes for 50 years, and Habanos for about 30. I've recently all but stopped smoking the Cubans because of budget considerations.

However, I have never found that smoking a pipe or a cigar affects the taste of the other - as long as some time was left between smokes.
"I still have 150 Hoya double coronas in my humidor. In the day, I loved them. I bought them all in cuba. Now I'm scared to try them again. lol"
Have no fear, my child - just send them to me!
"Cubans are overrated compared to what is legal in the USA."
Here we go again; typical 'Cuba-bashing' by American smokers. There's no question that the quality of non-Cubans has vastly improved over the years, and that some of them are better than some of the Cubans. But nearly all serious European and Asian smokers agree that most Cubans are still superior to most non-Cubans.

Sour grapes syndrome? :crying:

Jul 15, 2011
I go back and forth between the two constantly. Between pipes, cigars, and snuff, I am just a general nut case for all forms of fine tobacco. Cigars have a different appeal than pipes for sure. Easier to prepare and enjoy: No worry about packing, no worrying about which pipe will smoke which blend best, no worry about tamping, just snip, light, and off you go. The cigars that I prefer are milder, a little earthy, maybe a little spicy, but I will also smoke a couple of the stronger ones that are dark, oily, bitter like a good coffee or dark chocolate. Pipes and their tobaccos offer a more wide variety of flavors, smoking experiences, and a greater learning curve but with a richer reward for patience and diligence, but cigars are good for an occasional or celebratory smoke, or for me sometimes they are better for a social occasion since I have a lot of friends that are cigar smokers too.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I stared smoking cigars in the 80's and a little pipe now and then. With the Nazi’s on the move, the cigar houses became the only public place you were safe. I'm enjoying the much deeper and wider selection in pipe tobacco now. But when I go out to the cigar clubs, its cigars, they don’t want any pipe smoking.

I love the Cameroon wrapper, and Dominican binder and filler, Fuente is my hero. But Patel has some aged ones that stand up. I have about 50 sticks at home that I haven't touched in months; the boxes are in a private box in the club humidor. Less hassle and always have enough if I want to do some trading.
Craig

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I have about 3 or 4 cigars a week. I use to smoke about 3-4 a day. I find my tastes are more mood oriented now. Sometimes a choose poorly and put a cigar out before I finish it. Sometimes I smoke two back to back.

Aug 1, 2012
Sorry to keep stirring the s*** tonight but...
Here we go again; typical 'Cuba-bashing' by American smokers.
I am not a cigar connoisseur but I have smoked a few over the last 10 years. I find that while the Cuban's I get while out of the country are quite nice, they are not the end-all of cigars that some find them to be. I personally attribute that to their no longer being rolled on the thighs of virgins.
It's like a great Whisky (Scotch to all of us ignorant Americans). You might pay $75 a dram for a rare 25yr whisky only to find out that the peat is just sickeningly overwhelming. Does that mean that you are a Scotland-bashing American or could it be that the specific bottle isn't all it's cracked up to be?
Heaven for me might be overrated for you and vice-versa.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I smoked a cigar a couple of weeks ago with my son-in-law. Tasted pretty good but I was glad to come home to my pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.