A Change Of Focus... And More Enjoyment (Warning! Long Post)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Man, you should be gifting those pipes to needy pipe smokers rather than just tossing them.
Artisan pieces, my yachtsman collection, and cobs were all I kept. Meers, other factory pieces, and a few estates were tossed. If I find a pipe unsatisfactory, I can't pass it on to someone else. Pipes I have gifted are ones that I have found to be flawless smokers.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Go to just about any hobby site and people will mention the obsession of Get More.

We fill closets, basements and attics with Stuff, and then rent out extra storage space to fill with more Stuff. - - I get it. I've done it myself. Across quite a few different goods categories over the years. On reflection, in most of those categories, I only used a few items that I liked and found particularly well suited to my preferences.

Did those extra items increase Satisfaction? Not much. There was the fun of anticipation and the Hunt, but once obtained most of them were stored with all the others and pretty much out out of mind. Focus went to getting the next thing.
This is a thought provoking subject, that I've seen brought up on various hobby category websites. Perhaps this year I'll actually heed some of its lessons on squandering personal resources - including money,time, and energy.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Interesting topic and comments. I think it is a question of finding a good balance. PAD can perhaps for some end up like when you get too obsessed with constantly upgrading your hifi gear. After some time you may risk listening more to the hifi gear (pipes) than enjoying the music (tobacco).

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I reached the pipe saturation point myself last year. I'm at the point that when my wife asked me if I wanted a new pipe for Christmas, I told her no. She did buy me a new Peterson for my birthday, though.
Even when we go to antique shops and malls, I've stopped buying pipes just because I find them. Now it has to be a brand or carver that I don't have and catches my eye. And the price has to be right in my opinion. My last big purchase was one Preben Holm and two Ben Wade's Made in Denmark that I got for under $40 each.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I've gone thru the same thing. I think it's the natural cycle of any obsession or, at least, any of mine. Whenever we find "shiny pennies" along our walk, it's awfully hard for us to not pick them up, only to lose sight of them once we put them away.
Sometimes, one more is not necessarily one better.

Status
Not open for further replies.