PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
35+ years ago I was an assistant manager at a tobacco shop. This was one of two full time jobs. I was 25, had just welcomed my second daughter, and was trying to make ends meet. The shop sold a nice range of pipes from Peterson, Savinelli, GBD, and Dunhill to name a few. I owned around 5 pipes at the time; 2 Grabows , 2 baskets, and 2 Savinelli Romas. The Roma’s I had acquired at the shop. After all, I could not be seen smoking a Grabow and try to sell a Dunhill :). Working around an assortment of awesome pipes, I developed a huge case of pipe envy. My financial realities told me that these were literally “pipe dreams” and the possibility of me actually owning a GBD or a Dunhill was not going to be in my cards anytime soon. Two pipes that I really desired were a Dunhill Billiard and a GBD Canadian.

Life went on, as they say. I really did not start adding significantly to my array of pipes until I remarried, 15 years ago. A few years back I was able to acquire my first Dunhill Billiard, through site sponsor the Danish Pipe Shop. It was a birth year (1961), Tanshell. I have bought 2 more Dunhill Billiards, a Shell Briar and a Bruyere, both birth year pipes. I have monitored eBay over the years and still was not able to find the “just right” GBD Canadian.

I have three estate GBDs. I purchased each off of eBay auctions. All of these are great pipes, just not that “dream“ pipe. Last week, an unsmoked, pre-Cadogan GBD Virgin Collector #263 Canadian with a Perspex stem came up for auction on eBay. This was my dream pipe. I took the strategy of not bidding but just watching until the end of the sale. Up until the last minute the several bidders had not even bid to the reserve. I came in with a large (for me) snipe bid at the last seconds of the auction and bought the pipe for what, I believe, was probably only the reserve. To say that, I was/am elated is an understatement. The pipe arrived yesterday and I was able to get a few pics today (sorry for the quality, I have not had the time to improve my photo skills).

The PAD never seems to relent. There are pipes I would still like to add, like another Tinsky commission, a new (non-estate) Dunhill, a Bill Taylor Ashton, and a few more older Comoy and Saseini models. However, as retirement nears (and I am sure some necessary frugality) I may not get all, or even any, of these. Nonetheless, I have reached a wonderful status of pipe completion. I have acquired that “Bucket List” pipe.

4AE5702A-9C50-4AC7-89DD-12BCE7F4CE47.jpeg65255257-C481-471C-869A-AAFB4C1EF04E.jpeg99B21062-D26F-457D-AF47-C45BFEA12B22.jpeg0C591590-3DDF-4F74-8367-2823910840FD.jpeg

I will probably just admired this pipe for a bit and have that inaugural smoke reserved for a special occasion. We’ll see…

I know that some of the forum members are where I was 35 years ago. I just want to let you know that, “Pipe Dreams” really can come true.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love that story, outcome, and most importantly, enthusiasm for GBD pipes. That's a fantastic example of the shape and pretty much the top finish in the GBD food chain. Enjoy making it yours! GBD's make up the bulk of my collection but in the last five years, interest seems to have waned. I can't really recall the last time someone crowed about getting a GBD, so bravo!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The thought that i could still be buying pipes in 35years unnecessarily excites me. Congrats on your purchase and patience
Dave, you're still a pup ?. Still a long way before PAD and TAD burns out !

Me - I thought I was done buying, 50 pipes ago, but they are still arriving, albeit at much lesser frequency. There are a few more on my bucket list still.

Reactions: dcon and Ahi Ka