PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
I like featherweights, I like 9mm filter pipes, i like cobs. After some thinking on how to have these interests intertwined in the simplest fashion, I ascertained that what i needed was a MM pride, an 11/32 drill bit and a deft hand. A few moments later I was rewarded with the driest coolest smoke known to man. If you love what I love, give it a whirl... the trick is to get the depth just right, too far and the filter will protrude into the bottom of the bowl, too shallow and you won’t be able to get the pipe bit seated completely. Take it a little at a time. For the tighest fit, drill 1/8” too shallow and cut 1/8” off the pipe bit with a utility knife. Bahbapbapbapbaaah, I’m lovin’ it!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Ijust cut a balsa "filter" for my cobs.
The ones with the yellow cheap plastic stems already fit a 6mm balsa, they are the only ones I can find.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Yes. I buy balsa wood from hobby store and cut it up. $5 piece yields around 800 "filters".

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Yes, I was using medico 6mms, but honestly, they last far too long before getting brown... for a filter...eehhh, that seems to be missing the point. Vauen Dr. Perl 9mms are the best filters out there. Combined with cob properties, I love it. With the extra bore and the Dr. Perl’s, the draw is wide open. I keep a few filters out and let them dry between smokes, i usually get three smokes out of a filter before i toss them. When you are a filter pipe smoker, I tell ya, you really notice the variation in tar content in different types of tobacco. Burley and latakia are a lot heavier in tar than a virginia blend. With a proper filter you notice this big time. But before filters, I noticed it with the cleaners too i suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.