PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I am not a "collector" It is like buying art...way too expensive for my budget. What are the best pipes for under $99. All of mine fall into that category and they all give me a fine smoke. What do you guys say?

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
By far, most of my pipes are (or were) in the sub-$100 range. The best? IMHO, Savinellis (try the Roma Lucites from 4noggins), Britannia (if you can find them) Wessex (which are in the process of being re-introduced into N. America; I think Cup O' Joes has some).
Then there are the alternatives to briar: Mr. Brog (available through Amazon) makes excellent pearwood pipes), and, of course, corncobs.
Also take a look at the "basket" and house brand pipes available on many online retailers' web sites.
A pipe doesn't have to be a work of art to give you a good smoke.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am also not a collector - I cannot see owning a pipe that I won't smoke, but to each his own.
My pipes range from $70 - $200. All of them bring something positive. The 3 brands that consistently bring in strong raves for under $99 are: Stanwell, Savinelli and Peterson (not necessarily in that order). I own all three and all three are equal IMO (a longer break-in with the Pete however).
Some would cross Peterson off that list altogether and I will admit that Savs and Stanwells are often more consistent, but a Peterson is still a fine investment IMHO.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I think the majority of my pipes are under that price. Anyway, plenty of Peterson's under that price and I think Savinelli makes great pipes in the sub $100 range.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
rothnh wrote:
Tsuge Japan at SPC
Funny, I went looking at that link...
002-099-4327.jpg

This is probably an excellent pipe (even at $324), but if I saw this at a garage sale for $10 I probably would have passed on it! Go figure. 8O

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I dont think I have paid more than a hundred dollars for a pipe. I do have pipes that price higher than that but I got them as estate pipes. I would assume that any of the well established, and reputable names are going to be a fine pipe. Especially in that price range. I would venture to say that they do tend to make that price range pipe a particularly good pipe because they sell more of them. Now with large numbers of mid range pipes out there that would actually determine your reputation. So if your number one seller was a dud you would be a dud pipe maker and noone will be remotely interested in your high end, and for sure not your low end pipes.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I would say these:

Sav

Tsuge

Brigham

Peterson

Stanwell

Nording

Brebbia

Neerup

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Estate pipes are always a good choice. Generally if they survived their previous owners they are good smokers. They can be had for next to nothing under the right circumstances. You could throw in a professional restoration and still come in well under $99. If you are outfitted to restore yourself you can have 5+ quality pipes for that price.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There are tons of very good pipes out there for under 100.00 with estate pipes being in my opinion the best bang for the buck. I would look at some of the on line estate dealers who sell quality pipes. If you want to delve into ebay, it would behoove you to really do your homework, there are great deals but you really need to know what things are worth. Some good names to look for are Radice, Mastro de Paja, Caminetto, Ascorti, Upshall, Ser Jacobo, Don Carlos, L'Anatra, Ardor, Lane Era Charatans, Astley's, if you can buy pristine pipes from these makers for under 100.00 in most cases you will be getting a pretty good deal and in some cases great deals. When dealing with the older British names like GBD, Comoy, Sasenie, Barling, a ton of research is needed to know what you are getting. In general terms, the Italian makers make their pipes with wide open draws( which I prefer) where as English makers use a smaller opening. That is just a matter of preference. If you can find Savinelli Autograph's for under a hundred in great shape, jump on them.
Here are a few examples from a couple of well known, well respected on line estate dealers.
http://briarblues.com/mdp07.htm

http://briarblues.com/rua69.htm

http://www.mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee1830.html

http://www.mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee3074.html
The Tsuges from SP are great deals, but most are pretty small.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
Any of the standard factory pipes are well within your range. Each has different strengths in shaping, engineering, and finishing, but they're all generally comparable in quality. At the moment I'm partial to Tsuge and I want to pick one up soon.
Outside of factory pipes, there are some artisans who make pipes in the price range. I'm a big Chuck Sands fan. Not very pretty or precisely shaped pipes, but they are made with very old briar and they smoke great.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes under $100 that haven't been mentioned that I find good smokers and in

some cases fine looking pipes include Joh's, Parker, and Britannia. Also, for

great value, check out Savenelli unfinished pipes, for example at Cup O Joes,

for under $50 -- you could get two for $100. These look pretty naked, but

after a few weeks of smoking, they turn a golden honey brown and just look

better and better, kind of like finishing your own pipe. Cassano and Larocca

also make durable and handsome traditional pipes. In this price range, there

is really an embarrassment of values, if not riches. People don't puff up and

brag about their Cassanos, etc., but there are some great pipes out there in

this price range. I love my pricier pipes (well, pricey to me) but I enjoy all of

them. ... ah, Jobey makes some good pipes, unusual but good smokers.

There are others, but I won't go on.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
+1 to all said here. Props for Briarblues for mentioning the esteemed Mr. Pulver despite the fact they are competitors.
I have also been able to get Randy Wiley's (estate) for under 100 and they are awesome smokers.
Also I've seen Tinskys go occasionally for under 100, and I still sing the lament of the 5 (yes 5) Ardors that I saw go under $100. (Damned Army and its Scheduling conflicts with my pipe addiction.)
bottom line, if you have the time and patience you can get a smokin deal (har har) online.
Do not discount briarbid either, I have seen great pipes go on there and great tobacco as well.
There are some great pipes on there as of last night that someone posted.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I don't think you can beat Savinelli for a good factory pipe. If they aren't to your liking, I have a rusticated Vauen that smokes like a champ even with the adapter to make it non-filtered.
There are a ton of good estate pipes under $100. If you listen to some of the old broadcasts of the radio show, then you'll hear about many recommended brands.

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
I've never paid more than $70 for a pipe, and have some excellent ones from Savinelli, Peterson and Stanwell, as well as some very good pipes from less well-known makers, like LaRocca and Leonessa (those were less than $45). Dr. Grabow pipes are decent pipes and are very inexpensive, and a lot of people seem to be pleased with Mr. Brog pipes, which are also reasonably priced.

Jul 12, 2011
Let us not forget Luciano as well, they make wonderful works

of art. I got my Uncle a sandblasted bent apple for x-mas last

year and it was tough to box/wrap it up after the inspect...let

me tell you...that pipe was sweeeeeet!

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
for a hundred bucks I'll go to the Estate market, I just bought my first Pete and while it smokes ok the Stanwell Reg handmade I paid $70.00 for smokes a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.