PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I'm still new to this. A relatively infrequent smoker, averaging 2 bowls per week. Today was my 50th bowl! Carter Hall in a Molina with 9mm charcoal filter. Nice weather here in IL today. Secluded myself in a forest preserve listening to some 1950's big band tunes. I do not have a history with tobacco (no cigarettes ever, etc.), so no inhaling, and I really get no kind of nicotine high from it, as I mostly smoke mild blends. To me it is the relaxation, the ritual, the flavor (that is beginning to grow on me) and a nod to the past that I enjoy most.

Anyway... a bit of a milestone, #50... it took me about 6 months to get here. I've learned a lot, and find it to be very enjoyable as a guilty pleasure.

Cheers. Stay safe and sane during these times
Drew

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
The fact that you have kept track of how many bowls you have smoked is the most impressive part of this.

I am a data geek. I log every bowl I smoke in a spreadsheet where i keep track of number of total bowls, average bowls per week, pipe/tobacco combination, and a few comments on the experience that day.

I have promised myself to never smoke more than 2.5 bowls per week (on average) so the spreadsheet lets me know where I am in that. I have used a bunch of different excel formulas so that it monitors this for me with very few inputs. I am actually about 10-11 bowls under where I would be if I did in fact smoke 2.5 bowls per week, and that is o.k. with me, as long as it is not more.

The comments are helpful so I can refer back on which blends I like most, and if there are certain pipes that work better for me, etc.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I am a data geek. I log every bowl I smoke in a spreadsheet where i keep track of number of total bowls, average bowls per week, pipe/tobacco combination, and a few comments on the experience that day.

I have promised myself to never smoke more than 2.5 bowls per week (on average) so the spreadsheet lets me know where I am in that. I have used a bunch of different excel formulas so that it monitors this for me with very few inputs. I am actually about 10-11 bowls under where I would be if I did in fact smoke 2.5 bowls per week, and that is o.k. with me, as long as it is not more.

The comments are helpful so I can refer back on which blends I like most, and if there are certain pipes that work better for me, etc.
That's neat! The pipe I'm smoking currently, I keep track of every bowl smoked by a sticky note inside of my notebook. No notes otherwise.

Reactions: BROBS

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I track my smokes as well, also using excel. It helps me find which pipes I enjoy most with what specific blend types. It's a way for me to further enjoy the hobby and get deeper into the flavors and experiences I appreciate. I'm still learning with every bowl and I'm eager to grow in my enjoyment of the hobby.

Sure it's a little geeky, but I earned that label long ago anyway. It's best to embrace who we are and not run from it...log away my friend!

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Keeping track for now on my meerschaum just because its new and i wanted to take pics of the color changes. No data or spread sheets n graphs just a post it note and a pencil. Different strokes for different folks and if that helps you enjoy the hobby go for it.