PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Just finished watching the Macy New York fireworks spectacular. What a show! Loved it. Began thinking what the total amount of ordinance was fired off? Wonder what the carbon load is for the entire USA after a night of fireworks? I live in Oregon and the entire metro area is encased in smoke and carbon. Can,t help but think that this one night produced more co2 than a bunch of cattle or all the other hair-brained schemes the left can dream of eliminating. Might be a good study for some enterprising student to find what the carbon load is for the Fourth of July. We could then have something else to ban(slight sarcasm). Probably this one night erases all the carbon offsets for the entire year! Just my two cents! Hoppes

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Most places have an ordinance against ordnance...
The ordinance here dissuades political commentary, as it usually results in the use of ordnance.
IBTL
jay-roger.jpg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Ordnance. Words matter. The most impressive fireworks I've ever seen was New Years in the Netherlands. The entire city of Utrecht set off fireworks. It was the largest, most prolonged, display I've ever seen.
Of course the Netherlands is one of the most left leaning countries on Earth. It also has a very strong economy. I suppose "hair-brained schemes the left can dream" actually work.
Personally I enjoy the art of fireworks but am concerned about veterans who suffer PTSD. I've seen first hand one of our veterans suffer because of them. Less concerning, but still troublesome, is the impact fireworks have on animals, both wild and domestic.
IBTL

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Just about all the municipalities in the KC area have bans o fire works display. They clain=m there too many fires on account of them. People would but regular shingles on their roofs instead of shake shingles we wouldn't be in this mess.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Yo, Seldom, I agree. Having had dogs freak out on the 4th of July, my simple request is that people keep their explodin' stuff to the actual Holiday. In my neighborhood, the 4th of July tends to become a month long fireworks extravaganza. Throw in the fact that there are lots of people who do not associate loud explosions close to them with BBQ and apple pie but with things far less pleasant. I like fireworks, and people should be able to celebrate a Holiday without worrying about every possible contingency, but a little consideration is always in order.
Anyway, off my soapbox, and I even managed to not engage with the political content in the OP.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No such fireworks ordinances here. Dozens of huge fireworks shows going off at the same time. It looked like a deep London fog out there.
An ordinance was pass against firing bullets into the air, which is popular in some neighborhoods. Seems to everyone's surprise, they come back down...

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I see oth sides of this. I understand PTSD, I understand animals, I very much understand wildfires but...I do really love a huge fireworks show. Really reminds me of my childhood. Maybe some day later shows will get better and solve most of the issues.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Don't hares have small brains? Ain't it "hare-brained"?
The Macy's show was incredible. With 1800 shells going up every minute, and a cost of some $6 million, it should have been! Four barges and a bridge, at a minimum, for platforms. The music choices were lame, and a chorus deadpanning our national anthem was the worst. Not a shred of emotion in the technically perfect rendition. Ugh.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I remember correctly, I heard the figure 75,000 shells. With the help of computers, these shows have become high art. Regulated? For safety yes. I think it would be an impossible sell to limit these once or twice a year public events. Sometimes people have to make a choice, and would choose these. I admit, I am a professional fireworks display crazy. Don't try to do it in the yard. As a real purist, I would like the fireworks without music, because their own percussion is music to me, but I see few others feel that way.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
To be clear, I am referring more to the amateur fireworks enthusiast setting off m-1000s on July 13th than the professional shows. I used to live fairly close to the Oakland Coliseum and several nights a year, the A's would have awesome displays. Those are announced in advance as well.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Glad I live far outside of city limits. I was firing off 81mm shells, and 10 gauge firecrackers last night.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Yo, Seldom, I agree. Having had dogs freak out on the 4th of July,"
Much as I like a firework display myself, my poor old border collie Poppy (oh how I miss her) would climb up onto the sofa and force her head behind my back every 5th November....shaking like a jelly!
I tried to soothe her but still she shook until it stopped.
Regards,
Jay.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Ok, everyone . Mea culpa. I misspelled the word ordnance. Was trying to write the post late at night on my IPad which has a nasty habit of changing words. Will try better in the future. Now back to the original post. The point I was trying to make is that one night of fireworks probably negates an entire year of trying to reduce carbon emissions. This was not a political ploy or a statement for or against anything. If we don't study these various activities how in the world can anyone design a solution? Many commentators went directly to the effects on PTSD, animals, etc which I never mentioned. Perhaps your biases are showing?? Hoppes

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Jay wrote:
"Much as I like a firework display myself, my poor old border collie Poppy (oh how I miss her) would climb up onto the sofa and force her head behind my back every 5th November....shaking like a jelly!"
Remember remember the fifth of November

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I see no reason why the gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot...
Cheers,
Chili

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Reminds me of the time I was working in the US (I'm deliberately keeping location vague) one November. I was very honoured to be invited by one of my colleagues to her husbands family thanksgiving that year - a fantastic event although I soon realised I was there because his sister had married a man from Glasgow and none of the family could understand him... ...so I was translater.
Anyway, point of this little digression was that just before Thanksgiving I was asked by one of the clients staff "How do you celebrate Thanksgiving in England" which just seemed an unlikely question given the history of the Pilgrim Fathers. Quick as a flash I told her that on the 5th November (aka Guy Fawkes Night) we burnt an effigy of a Pilgrim Father as a warning not to come back. It all slightly backfired on me because the lady in question honestly believed what I had said and started to explain this to others in the office... ...I don't think I permanently damaged Anglo/US relations but it was a near thing for a day or two. (And no, she never forgave me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.