PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
My local B&M now carries this line and I was surprised to have never heard it mentioned on here (although a search showed me brief mentions of its existence). Has anyone tried anything?
Here is the website.
I think the packaging is terrible as I could not tell what was what until I searched on the website at home.
The 1882 (English) certainly caught my eye as a blend I would try but it only comes in larger tins. The 1855 Virginia sounds good as well.
I ended up picking up my first tin of Escudo instead because I have heard plenty about that!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Both the 1882 and 1855 are well worth trying. The two aromatics, 1957 and 1897 are both very good also.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
4th Gen is VERY good tobacco. It may not get mentioned a whole lot, but when it does it's always in a positive light.
The issue is that it is in each case a slightly better blend than one currently in production... and usually more expensive.
Many have said they liked it but not enough to bump from the less expensive pre-existing blend.
I buy it when it's on sale, the 1931 in particular is a favorite of mine.
Get it when the price is right. You won't be sorry.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
1931 here too. If there is such a thing as a natural aromatic, that's it. Tastes and smells amazing, stays lit forever, smokes cool and dry (and I tend to be a wet smoker), doesn't start tasting like crap in the bottom 1/3. I never smoked any of the others, really no reason. Escudo/DNR is my vaper, MM965 and Nightcap are my Englishes, 1931 is my aro.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Shutterbug,
If ever you find yourself trapped in an elevator with some MacBaren Navy Flake, you would like it. The stuff is just awesome and very (VERY VERY) reminiscent of 1931.
=D

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I love the 1957 & the 1897. The topping is very mild and doesn't overwhelm the tobacco IMHO. I have a tin of 1855 as yet unopened. One of these days when I smoke up what I have open now. :puffy:

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for all the feedback. I am wondering what price they will have here in Canada if they are seen as being a premium tobacco. Still I am sure I can at least get a samples of something as I spend enough money at the place. So many tobaccos I want to try... I guess that is a good thing!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Shutterbug,
If ever you find yourself trapped in an elevator with some MacBaren Navy Flake, you would like it. The stuff is just awesome and very (VERY VERY) reminiscent of 1931.
Thanks. I read reviews that said they were similar. Some said 1931 was better, richer, etc. But the placebo effect is not to be downplayed in these cases ;) Kind of like the DNR/Escudo controversy. I'll definitely try some MB as I run out of 1931. If it's 90% as good I'm all for saving a few bucks. Tobacco is the closest thing to burning money after all :)

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I'm a big fan of the 4th generation series (at least the non-aromatics, which I've tried).
Short (true) story: about, I don't know, 2 years ago, I was in a café here in Amsterdam having breakfast with my wife, when an older couple sat outside and the guy started smoking a pipe. I had just started taking pipe smoking more seriously by then, so I immediately nudged my wife and kept an eye on him. Then the smell of what he was smoking hit me. Wow! I told my wife "*This* is what pipe-smoking should smell like!"
After a while I couldn't contain myself and went over to them. I started speaking Dutch, but saw they had a map of Amsterdam so I asked if they spoke Dutch of English. Nope. Then I realised they spoke French! A bit rusty, I thought, but I can manage. So I started speaking French, complimented his pipe and the smell of his tobacco. Then I asked what it was. 4th Generation, of course. I was a bit confused then, but I think it was 1855. We spoke a bit more, and he said he'd bought it in Switzerland. I wrote it all down, and later started looking. But unfortunately I couldn't find it either here, in Germany or in the UK.
It wasn't till the end of last year, when I went to the US on business that I managed to get one tin of each (non-aro). All 3 amongst my favourites ever since :)

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think it is a somewhat newer offering of blends? That could be why you do not hear much of it. I have not tried any of them, but would like to.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I like that they have offered the blends in smaller 40g tins as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a label on the back with a description of the blend and its contents?

Status
Not open for further replies.