PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
zonomo,
Send that picture to Bob Hayes and he will quote you a price to make it for you! Tell him Captain Bob sent you!!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I used to feel this way until I bought my first Dunhill. I know @nsfisher will back me up on this
Indeed! I used to scoff at people and their Dunhills, untill I stumbled on one. I want to smoke it all day, everyday. Mine is a 1953, so I have no experience on comparing it to the current makes and models, that is why I suggested an Estate. However, many other Members suggested some awsome pipes as well. The trick to remember mate, is that it is silly pay $400.00 for a new, single pipe, when you can buy several awsome quality pipes as estates.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
pre-1968 Dunhills, many experts agree, are light years ahead of their new pipes (not to say new Dunhills are not outstanding by any means).
This is what I have been told by many of the older members here. I'll take that advice anyday

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
it is silly pay $400.00 for a new, single pipe, when you can buy several awesome quality pipes as estates.
I don't think it's silly if you've never had a brand-new, high-end pipe before. Many of my pipes were estate purchases. But there's a unique pleasure in owning a high-quality pipe that has never been smoked by anyone else before. If you have the opportunity to add one to your collection -- even if it's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of purchase -- I think you should do it. You'll treasure that pipe -- and it will mean something different to you than all of the estates in your racks.
Bob

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
The trick to remember mate, is that it is silly pay $400.00 for a new, single pipe, when you can buy several awsome quality pipes as estates
That's a valid point nsfisher but due to my circumstances, i wouldnt categorize it as "silly" per se. :wink: In this case, it's "free unaccounted for money", I would like to invest in something higher end then my usual (just picked up a Savi yesterday for $170), its not like I am going into debt to buy this item as I do everything cash and carry and finally, this is my hobby, my enjoyment, my current love. I remember when I first learned to play the guitar the guy at the store was actually trying to talk me into a lower end model because i was a newbie. But instead, I bought a higher end Taylor (guitar people know what this means) and haven't looked back since. So yes, perhaps its a bit silly for me to own 17 pipes in a hobby that I just started about 60 days ago. But silly I am.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com
These folks make a fine meer, thats for sure! (my favourite is the woven basket style)

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
it's your $400 spend it however you want.. it's not silly to want to invest in a nice pipe. from a lot of the pictures I see posted on this forum there seems to be plenty of folks spending well above the $400 mark. I have some USED pipes but it's not the same as breaking out a nice new pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that is thrilling. Lots of great suggestions here. I'll stay tuned to see how you decide! My suggestion - two, new or unsmoked James Upshalls from Ezrati on their ebay site.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Don't listen to them, Zonomo. Nothing "silly" about wanting special and then going after it.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I am not that knowledgable (Smart) to buy estates. If I had $400 to blow on a pipe, I would buy a brand new MF'r that I fell in love with.

pauljmjr

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
I would buy two new Radices. To me they are some of the best pipes out there. Two of their $200 pipes would certianly keep me very satisfied for a very long time.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
OK - my "free" $400 arrived in the mail yesterday so its on like Donkey Kong. I have decided I want another Pickaxe pipe as my "nice pipe". This will cost me probably 500-$600. This guy's designs are CRAZY but are true works of art - they are certainly not for everyone but their uniqueness appeals to me. I'm going with a Larrysson Picaxe pipe.
http://www.larryssonpipes.com/sell_public.php?gal=122

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
well #6, the one in that pic has already been sold so I contacted the artist and he's going to make me one just like it. So as soon as she arrives, I'll post up. :puffpipe:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
well #6, the one in that pic has already been sold so I contacted the artist and he's going to make me one just like it. So as soon as she arrives, I'll post up.
My bad - hope it arrives soon for you!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
sasquatch do you know Paul? He's been amazing to communicate with. In fact, he seems like a high integrity stand up guy which is the main reason i am going this route. What can you tell me about him?

Status
Not open for further replies.