PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Even though I'm not an everyday smoker I had to buy some tobacco to cellar because one.. END of SUMMER Sale on P&C ( they had some pretty good deals ) and TWO the proposed 40% tax increase on cigar and pipe tobacco in the state of PA .

I guess the governor actually turn down one proposal because the new tax was not in it. UGH!!! I take it he's not a brother of the Briar

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
In Alabama we just got a small tobacco tax increase, but I can guarantee that nobody will ever see a tax decrease. Stock up cause it ain't getting better :(

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Unfortunately this is probably a sign of thing to come. Stock up as much as you can as quick as you can. :puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In Pennsylvania? Or, in other places? Anti-smoking programs (if dedicated and anti-smoking usually has a very wide definition), employee wages, entitlements, capital improvements, sometimes tobacco taxes are used to reduce other taxes (very rare), it runs the gamut.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I email my Pa reps every month regarding this tax proposal. I spend a lot of money at the B&M and I let them know that my money will exit the state immediately if they pass a 40% tax. Small businesses will die and Pa will not realize the money they want to project, just like every other state with punitive taxes. It's just a stupid business decision.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
@ papipeguy, you're not alone. I've been sending almost the same emails bi-weekly since the tax was proposed. At least my voice is heard, and will be heard again with the next elections.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'm pretty sure out of all the slavery issues and the other civil issues, most wars were fought because of taxes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Anti-smoking programs (if dedicated and anti-smoking usually has a very wide definition), employee wages, entitlements, capital improvements, sometimes tobacco taxes are used to reduce other taxes (very rare), it runs the gamut.
Fascinating. The next question would be the utility of each of those things.
I'm pretty sure out of all the slavery issues and the other civil issues, most wars were fought because of taxes.
The one area I agree with Karl Marx is that time is money. If we all must work, then taxes taken for anything but what benefits all of us could be seen as theft of our time.
It seems the Founding Fathers felt that way, at least...

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have emailed my representative again regarding this. I have said it before and I will say it again, if you can cellar deeply, do so.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
What do they do with all the money?

Healthcare etc... It's just a matter of time before you guys are on par with the great white north for tobacco and booze prices.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The utility is that each area purchases votes from specified portions of the electorate by promising that such taxes will benefit them or, at the least, not impact them too adversely while punishing others more. (Dividing the voters, turning some against others is always a good tactic when discussing taxes. The least informed usually fail to see that taxes invariably trickle down to the least able to afford it.) After certain constitutionally detailed responsibilities are met, to the satisfaction of the elected of course, the voters must then be curried so that they will continue vote in the desired manner.
Pretty simple! Government funds, correctly disbursed, redound to the benefit of the elected. If it is your ox being gored you'll be upset. Another person's ox? Not so much! The selling of proposed tax increases is an art form and some people specialize in such activity.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Pretty simple! Government funds, correctly disbursed, redound to the benefit of the elected. If it is your ox being gored you'll be upset. Another person's ox? Not so much! The selling of proposed tax increases is an art form and some people specialize in such activity.
HMmm, Please refer to my previous comment... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.