PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
That is the kind of pipe my 11 year old daughter would think is "so cool". Like all things she adds that saying too I can only shudder at the sight (and price) of it. Why did they add bling to a Dracula? I would have thought the base pipe could be a little different.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
If Elton John AND Libarachi were pipe makers, this would be their least bedazzled pipe. It would be defined "modestly priced and designed"

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
SSJONES IDK if Francis would go for this...I believe JP the 2nd smoked...he was all about showing off the goods LOL...p.s that is hideous

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Although I bridle at the idea, I think it is possible to add jewels to pipes in a tasteful way. There have been one or two examples in Forums posts where this was done to pleasing effect despite my cringing at the thought. I think the concept is objectionable because it takes the pipe too far from its admirable function of using natural materials to commune with the burning leaf. (Not that acrylic is natural, but I digress.) However, this mistreatment of the Peterson dracula, which is already kind of camp and pop art in a droll subtle way ... this really just looks tacky. The added materials don't surprise the viewer or add any emphasis or magic. They look pasted on and added, and the drac' pipe loses all of its pop art charm. When you use incongruity in "art," which is what this is trying to do, the two elements being joined have to strike a new note and say something revealing or at least unexpected. This just looks like a patchwork of parts, and the diamonds don't help at all. If this makes someone happy, I'm happy for them. If they showed it off to me, I'd say something like, "Now that's a pipe!" Groan.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
It's down to $2500.00 now. I'm going to sound like a hippocrit, especially after being thrilled with a stone in my Kaywoodie stem, but I think I'm with mso489 and a few others in thinking this is too much. I love the bowl itself, the gems and the rest don't speak to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.