PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
As a Brit I have been purchasing most of my tobacco from SP in the US because even with the cost of shipping it’s cheaper than buying here with our ridiculous taxes on baccy (nowhere near as bad as Australia though so count your blessings), a 50 gram tin here is over $20 and bulk is the same, no discounts for that I’m afraid.

I’ve been reading the posts on this thread and for all the talk I haven’t seen anyone mention their local Congress/Senator/Governor and the whole shebang in DC. When something pisses me off over here I write to my local Member of Parliament and try to get them on side, I suggest everyone on this forum does likewise. Try and get them to actually go on this forum and see what sort of people we are, how pipe smoking fits into our lives and brings us together. Write to Ms Pellosi (try being polite regardless of your opinion of her, we want her on our side) and your state representatives in Washington to stop the tax increase or at least lower it to a reasonable amount, tell them they’ll be cutting their nose off to spite their face because they’ll end up getting less because we’ll be priced out of the market. They’re our servants, they have a duty to us and if we don’t remind them of that fact they’re just gonna walk all over us. The best weapon to use against them is a pen and paper, email them too, bombard them with correspondence if you have to but fight men fight.
It’s up to us, we few, we happy few, this band of brothers.
Tell them where to stick their bloody taxes, it’s a dark and smelly place where the sun doesn’t shine and it’s usually where they keep their heads.
? > ⚔️ ?

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
There have been posts about it and online links. Some of the online retailers put banners on their home pages as well.

Unfortunately this isn’t a single issue vote. It’s part of a larger revenue package so the reps who want the revenue increase and all that goes with it aren’t going to have a lot of leeway for picking and choosing the ways to make the revenue they want.

Try and get them to actually go on this forum and see what sort of people we are, how pipe smoking fits into our lives and brings us together.
I'm no genius, but I am not so sure that this is a great idea. I love this forum and respect the hell out of all of you guys, but we aren't the most civil people in the world, ha ha. And, we definitely are not the most upstanding citizens. But yeh, everyone should send that letter to their reps.

But as Fireground says, this is a one line item in a list of things that may offset what we all might say. I really doubt that the handful of pipesmoker left in the US are going to have any sway politically. We are a small faction of an even smaller random mix of under 2% of all smokers, with overall smokers numbers dropping each year. If anything our dwindling numbers proves that they propaganda and tax tactics are working. It is a titlewave, and we are the shrimp in the sea.

But yeh, send that letter. It is about the most and least we can do... outside of doing nothing.

Just shows what I know, I’ll keep schtum from here on out ??
No need to feel chastised at all. It wasn't a bad suggestion. I just have a different opinion or perspective. And, I am merely one voice on here. Besides, I love birddogs!! I have a sassy little Brittney at home. puffy

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I have some whole leaf on the way with the intention of making my own blends, will this tax hike effect the prices of that too? If that’s the case I need to start stocking up.

Reactions: Briar Lee
I have some whole leaf on the way with the intention of making my own blends, will this tax hike effect the prices of that too? If that’s the case I need to start stocking up.
I am not privy to the language of the bill. But, whole leaf has had a loophole that I assume will remain. I... I won't say all that I think here. But, I hope it remains.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
We need to get a tobacco cellar tontine going.
Not a terrible idea... as long as you trust the members of the tontine. There is no way I would enter one with just random people from a forum though. We've lost box passes to members we thought that we could trust on here, so... YMMV.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
I realize this could still leave PIPE tobacco in the lurch (I don't see pipe tobacco mentioned), but the tobacco lobby is finally focusing on these proposed increases. Story link and a few excerpts:

In the letter, dated Sept. 14, the trade associations argued that if the price of tobacco products spikes, buyers would move to the tobacco black market where sellers don’t abide by standard regulations and often prey on young people.

[snip]

The warning is one of the most public cases of pushback from the tobacco industry as it finds itself once more being targeted by Congress. For years, lawmakers have scrutinized the industry over its marketing that targets young adults and children. Numerous state and federal legislative initiatives have been launched to clamp down on tobacco, including by taxing its products, as Democrats have proposed to do as part of Biden’s social spending bill.

For what it is worth.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
From what I can gather, these tobacco taxes are still “on the table” so to speak and are still part of the (ever changing) proposed bill?

Anyone have any new insights?

Reactions: sittingbear

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
This might sound horrible and selfish, but I hope this bill passes so I can end my TAD disease and stop buying more tobacco that I'll never get to smoke. I bet others are in the same mindset as me, weather they want to admit it or not.
I don't want to admit it, but you're probably right.

Anyone have any ideas on how this might affect trades/private sales? Do you think the prices will be adjusted based on market rates?

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I don't want to admit it, but you're probably right.

Anyone have any ideas on how this might affect trades/private sales? Do you think the prices will be adjusted based on market rates?
I really wonder about the online businesses that probably rely quite heavily on pipesmokers' TAD, especially snatching up the "limited edition" tins that have been flooding the market these last couple years. And the B&M's are probably more doomed.

My observation as their dedicated consumer is that Smokingpipes.com, for instance, plays on the fear of spiking bulk and tin prices (in a dignified and reasonable way, I should add). But were that "bread" to dry up for them, they'd still have their "butter" of selling pipes and accessories, which will no doubt become more central to their business model. Because realistically, tobacco prices are doubling, and so many of on this forum have "enough tobacco to outlive" themselves: that means that tobacco sales -- and the profits thereof -- will be halved (unless they manage allow the tax increase to cut significantly into their profit margin). That's my prediction.

Reactions: AroEnglish