PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Nearly two years after they launched it, I stumbled upon a handful of tins I didn’t know I had. How was it received? It’s launch coincided almost perfectly with my departure; however, as a burley lover and having recently returned, I’m interested to hear current opinions on it and how it compares.
20 tins is a handful? Good grief man, how do you type with those grossly enlarged digits?
Never mind, it's sheer jealousy at work here. Good on you friend, for your prescient (if forgotten) purchase. If you stumble upon a handful of pre 2015 The Solent Mixture, I know someone who might be willing to make the sacrifice of relieving your cellar of the burden.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two unopened tins of the 2022 version. A better version of Carter Hall sounds good to me, as does a big tub of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, burley based with Virginia as a condiment flavored with three liqueurs, pretty snazzy for a codger blend.

Eventually I will unleash my Eight State and see how it does. I started with C&D after their Pennsylvania days in a garage, during their years in North Carolina. I think Jeremy has done a good job of continuing the C&D exploration of burley as a premium blend base and/or ingredient, along with all their other explorations and editions.

The description on the Eight State tin sounds pretty elaborate with leaf from various seasons and sources. I'm a burley devotee, so I will in all likelihood enjoy the blend.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I have two unopened tins of the 2022 version. A better version of Carter Hall sounds good to me, as does a big tub of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, burley based with Virginia as a condiment flavored with three liqueurs, pretty snazzy for a codger blend.

Eventually I will unleash my Eight State and see how it does. I started with C&D after their Pennsylvania days in a garage, during their years in North Carolina. I think Jeremy has done a good job of continuing the C&D exploration of burley as a premium blend base and/or ingredient, along with all their other explorations and editions.

The description on the Eight State tin sounds pretty elaborate with leaf from various seasons and sources. I'm a burley devotee, so I will in all likelihood enjoy the blend.

I’m interested to hear what you think.

The kids are out of school next week for spring break and we’re heading down to the peninsula for a week of fishing and debauchery. I’m sure each night will end around a campfire, so I plan to take a few pipes and blends with me and get reacquainted with a past passion from whom I’ve grown distanced. I think a tin of this has made the short list.

Oddly enough, everyone knocking it as a nicer codger blend is doing nothing other than making me more excited about it.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
SWR it is not. I’d previously never smoked a Burley blend that showcased white Burley so it’s unique to me. The oriental peeks through here and there. The casing is obvious but it harmonizes with the burley. What really made me appreciate it was smoking straight C&D White Burley, it kind of educated my palate and made the quality of Eight State’s leaf shine. Full disclosure: these are the opinions of a new pipe smoker.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Here’s a quick comparison of the two vintages from the blender himself. He also mentions the casings used. I am surprised that there appears to be no chocolate or cocoa used in the casing.

On a separate note give Jeremy Reeves some credit for putting together a blend that has older vintage White Burley, even older Orientals, Dark Burley, and Bright Virginia with the intention of making a special take on a codger blend. It is special to this noob. I reach for it when I’m craving something to contemplate and something comfortable. Who else makes a codger blend with this much complexity and finesse? Not SWR. 344FF23A-67AD-4C13-A9A6-EBF0D0B887FC.png

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Any thoughts on the Nic hit of this stuff? I have a couple of tins and the more I read about its comparisons to cased codgers the more I'm reluctant to crack one. I enjoy Pegasus and OJK is this stuff anywhere in that ballpark? I really can't stand overly cased stuff like I tried We Three Kings and it ruined my pipe for a couple weeks.

Any thoughts on the Nic hit of this stuff? I have a couple of tins and the more I read about its comparisons to cased codgers the more I'm reluctant to crack one. I enjoy Pegasus and OJK is this stuff anywhere in that ballpark? I really can't stand overly cased stuff like I tried We Three Kings and it ruined my pipe for a couple weeks.
It is a dead center medium. About what you'd expect from a codger blend.

Reactions: vosBghos

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
There's no threat of ruining a pipe with 8state. It's not an overly topped blend...this is worth cracking a tin and giving it a go. Probably my favorite limited release from them since the original Sun Bear.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
There's no threat of ruining a pipe with 8state. It's not an overly topped blend...this is worth cracking a tin and giving it a go. Probably my favorite limited release from them since the original Sun Bear.
Thanks for the no-nonsense answer funny I picked up a couple more tins of it at Low Country yesterday because it was there and only $11.20 per, figured if I didn't like it I could pass on 3 tins to someone who appreciates it.