PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Unfortunately, this looks like a long haul. As it stands, the dark clouds aren't forecast to be dissipating any time soon. I'll move it along ASAP.
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Wow. I suck. Ok, life sucks, but still...
Here is the tracking info for the box on its way to daimyo:

9405 9036 9930 0417 8263 44
I threw some SPC Plum Pudding in the box. There was so much more I wanted to send but life has intervened in a major way so my contributions were lame to say the least.
I hope you all enjoy the box and its contents. I'll try to post from time to time, but at this point I don't know...
-Jason

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I received the box and holy frijoles that is a lot of tobacco. I'm getting shots as I sort through and try to lay it all out, I will be posting them tomorrow. Jason, I hope things are not too bad. Best of wishes to you and yours.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
So the box arrived with a split side but judging from how perfectly stuffed it was, I do not think anything was lost. The shot is mostly stuff I haven't tried since I had to start putting aside blends I had smoked just to get it all on the table. The box shot is the stuff I have tried or have cellared Last night I smoked a bowl of Waffle House and I'm a bit torn. Love the smell, love the flavors but it leaves kind of a chemical aftertaste in my mouth. It strikes me as being in the same vein as Shortcut to Mushroom where I love the tobacco but wish they would hire C&D to make it for them without the PG. I'll have to smoke one more bowl of it and see if I have the same issue, because I really want to like it. It smells and tastes like one would think but pulls it off better than I expected. Today I had a bowl of Black Mamba and it is dark and smooth. Like Billy Dee Williams level smooth and dark, which is surprising because the tin note made me think it would be heavier. Pleasantly surprised though and this would be a great breakfast smoke with coffee.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I did but where is it from? I tried to google it but apparently there is a bathsalts/spice smoking mixture for idiots called black mamba and that was just flooding the search results.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I did but where is it from?
That one was blended by me this last December.
Lol ... I didn't know there was a stupid bath salts thing with the same name! :roll:
The plan is to make another one similar but with added Orientals ... DiamondBack perhaps? :)

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Someone hire this guy, I would buy tins of this stuff. I could see it with orientals but I do like it as is for a breakfast smoke. It was damn near prfect with my coffee this morning. Personally I think you should call it Billy Dee. :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Glad to see the box made it through, though just barely, it seems.It's a testament to the Mylar bags that there wasn't a trail of loose tobacco from the USPS hub that smashed it, to Daimyo's mailbox.
Let's try a couple passes of packaging tape around the diameter of the box and see if that helps on down the line. I'm also suggesting that everyone send out in a new box, since they are free. USPS will actually deliver a stack of them to your house, free of charge.
Cobguy gets three thumbs up for putting his own blend in the box and two toes up for it being so good! Care to share whats in the Black Mamba?
And Daimyo, how is the 'baccy holding up in the Mylar?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Someone hire this guy, I would buy tins of this stuff.
Thanks so much ... that really means a lot to me! :)
Care to share whats in the Black Mamba?
I started with all dark leaf, Lat/Per/Cav, and then titrated with a mix of darker Virginias. (no brights)

After 3 or 4 attempts in small batches I was happy and made a couple of pounds. Next time, I'm going to split the batch in half and add some Izmir and/or Macedonia leaf to one half. Thanks for the two toes up!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Well put me down for some of that and I'd love to try it when you do it with orientals.
Smoking some McClelland 2030 No. 1 Grade Balkan at the moment. It's not bad per se but nothing really makes it stand out either. It lacks some of the subtlety and flavor interplay I enjoy so much in my go to Balkans.
The mylar bags seem to be doing great at their job, no ghosting and no dry baccy yet.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Smoked a bowl of McClelland Black and Gold last night. Not terribly complex but a very refreshing and easy smoke. The Cavendish smooths out the Virginias nicely and the flavors don't overpower the tobacco. I could see keeping a jar of this around for those moments where an uncomplicated and smooth smoke fits the bill. About to load up a bowl of McB's Vanilla Cream Flake, people seem to love it and it should go well with my coffee.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Daimyo, I'm curious as to your take on McClelland 2020. I had put some in The Box, not sure if there's any left....It's a Virginia/Oriental flake with a bit of Latakia added to round it out. Not a Latakia blend, but a Va spiced with Xanthi with just enough to Latakia to do the trick.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I didn't notice it but it is a bit overwhelming. On my next comb through of the not yet tried pile, I will see if I can locate it. It sounds right up my alley.
Also my above post should read McClelland's Black and Lemon.