2001: A Space Odyssey - WTH Did I Just Watch?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I was a big "A Clockwork Orange" fan because of the sound track. I bought a new one a few years ago, but nothing is the same as when you're young.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I absolutely love A Clockwork Orange but Dr. Strangelove may be my favorite.
You'll have to answer to the Coca Cola company!!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As a nine year old, I lived on an Army base in 1970. The movies shown at the base theater were a little behind new releases, so I saw this in 1970. My brother (8) and I had no friggin clue what it was about.
Some interesting tidbits:

http://www.hollywood.com/movies/get-thee-to-the-geek-2001-a-space-odyssey-room-237-57243937/
I HAD NOT seen the Echoes/2001 sequence, but I love Echoes and will not pass up ANY excuse to hear it again.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
FYI: Full Metal Jacket is NOT a good trippin' movie
GOOD POINT.
Not Kubrik movies, but if anyone out there wanted to trip and watch a movie I highly recommend "The Big Lebowski". That movie always saved me from the bad thoughts :D

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@davet: I agree, 2010 is also very good. It did not attempt to imitate 2001, and is a worthy sequel...good movie in its own right.
@mlc: The "monolith action figure figure" is hilarious. "It's full of stars!" "Zero points of articulation!" LOL
and well said...it's a truly great movie, and the kind that would never get made today.
@Al: I thought the Echoes sync was pretty good. Not as impressive as WoZ/DSOTM, but still works fairly well...especially the latter half or so.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Reading the book helps, as always.
Very very briefly, you have a story where aliens visit Earth, give us a mental boost, including the use of weaponry, and a specific timeline where we have to develop as a species and outgrow weapons utterly (otherwise quite likely be destroyed). That's thematic.
The actual plot revolves around a mission to explore Jupiter's moons, where the monolith on the moon aimed its signal. During said mission, ship's computer goes crazy and begins to eliminate the human crew who, in the judgment of HAL, are actually risks to the mission rather than assets. Probably right too. Anyway a conflict in HAL's program causes this, Dave has to shut HAL down or die. Dave then visits the second monolith (weaponless), goes through the stargate, becomes something godly (the Nietzchean Uber-man, or Homo Illuminatus or whatever version you prefer).
It's a story about progress, mentality, consciouscness, and ethics.
But the movie is a little like The Big Lebowski. You wind up thinking "Wow, what did I just watch?" Go watch it again.

May 31, 2012
Reading the book helps, as always.
Very very briefly, you have a story where aliens visit Earth, give us a mental boost, including the use of weaponry, and a specific timeline where we have to develop as a species and outgrow weapons utterly (otherwise quite likely be destroyed). That's thematic.
The actual plot revolves around a mission to explore Jupiter's moons, where the monolith on the moon aimed its signal. During said mission, ship's computer goes crazy and begins to eliminate the human crew who, in the judgment of HAL, are actually risks to the mission rather than assets. Probably right too. Anyway a conflict in HAL's program causes this, Dave has to shut HAL down or die. Dave then visits the second monolith (weaponless), goes through the stargate, becomes something godly (the Nietzchean Uber-man, or Homo Illuminatus or whatever version you prefer).
It's a story about progress, mentality, consciouscness, and ethics.
But the movie is a little like The Big Lebowski. You wind up thinking "Wow, what did I just watch?" Go watch it again.
An excellent synopsis.
depositphotos_24857547-smart-monkey.jpg

Sasquatch got big brain.
Bigfoot-(Black).png

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I actually cheated in my first synopsis. I stole ideas that we learn more directly from 2010. For example, I don't think HAL's neuroses are ever explained in 2001, are they? Anyway, hopefully this isn't too foggy:
So in 2010, you pick up with Russians, American, and Chinese racing to get back out to Jupiter - Dave's enigmatic last message and the degrading hulk of the ship (can't rembember if the ship has a name) have lit a fire, and everyone of course wants to run out to Europa and see what's going on. The Chinese get there first, and the second ship, a split Russian/American crew watches them burn and die in a failed braking manouvre. The Russians need the american tech support, the Americans go out on the Russian ship because it's ready months ahead.
Dr Chandra(sekharishvili if I remember right), HAL's creator goes out to establish why HAL failed. He learns of a little bit of coding that he never authorized, regarding the priority of the mission (vs the priority of the crew). He flips shit, and turns HAL back on, one diode at a time.
The crew learns that the alien intention is to make Jupiter go Nova, turn it into a small sun, and they have to skidaddle in a hurry, and they need HAL to help with a boost - HAL makes the ultimate sacrifice quite willingly, when everything is explained to him.
Then the aliens/Dave tell us to have fun puttering around our little system, but not to sniff around Europa a whole hell of a lot.
Dave pretty much meanwhile is a spiritual entity, capable of communicating as he pleases with the rest of us dumb monkeys but not real concerned with us.
So it's a nice tie-up, we have to co-operate to get anywhere, Dave is kind of a god, and we learn why HAL went nuts.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
HAL sounds a lot like just about every computer I've had, including my present one.
nQLaYX7.gif

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
First, I about totally silly-ed myself at the pic of the Monolith "action figure"!! OMG!!!! Still even!! :rofl:
2nd... my best friend since the 70s name is Dave... I STILL can creep him out with a call out of nowhere and a properly HAL-y modulated, "Good Morning, Dave".

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yeah for years instead of the windows jingle, my computer was set to say "I am completely operational, and all of my circuits are functioning perfectly" when it fired up.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Synchronicity. I wasn't looking for anything Kubrick related, but stumbled on this. I thought it was an excellent commentary on Kubrick's art and style.
Here is where I found it: http://sploid.gizmodo.com/heres-why-stanley-kubrick-was-such-a-great-director-1780225925
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFxPkhLNrcc

Status
Not open for further replies.