2001: A Space Odyssey - WTH Did I Just Watch?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Seriously.....
Ok the first section where primal man discovered tools and quickly turned it into a weapon of dominance I understand. It was cool seeing what technology they envisioned we would have in 2001. I have seen chess apps that look like the one in the movie.
My first experience with a computer was in 1987 as an agent for mutual of omaha. They had one central computer that was as big as a card table and it was connected to the home office. It was named HAL. We joked about it at the time.
I guess the intermission was to give you enough time to hit the concession stand for some LSD laced Kool-Aid. I guess the re-entry and shut down scene was to give the Kool-Aid time to kick in.
Why didn't HAL close the emergency air lock? Or trap Dave in the port? Or do anything to fight back?
How did Dave get so old and not need a haircut? Seriously, his nose hair would've been down to his waist.
And the smeagle cameo at the end was creepy.
I am glad that I waited almost 50 years to watch this film. I could've gone another 50 and been OK. I think this proves to me at least that Kubrick in no way could have faked the lunar landings.
And what's up with the soundtrack? You can't dance to that. About the only thing you could do is have s3x with yoko on a waterbed full of broken glass.
I think I am forever changed from seeing this movie. Thank you mr. Stanley Kubrick.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Not my favorite Kubrik flick.
I'm a big "Full Metal Jacket" fan, though. And I really like "A Clockwork Orange" as well.
"2001: A Space Odyssey" was a decent movie I thought. But I'd rather watch "Full Metal Jacket" any day.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I'll take a crack at it...
Drugs !! Lots and lots of drugs!!
Anthropology was making big leaps (Leakeys in Africa) and UFO's were still novel. Juxtaposing an intelligently made artifact from "deep time" with our earliest ancestors was supposed to expand your concept of how small human beings are in the universe. I watched it again maybe ten years ago. Yeah, he could have just pissed on HAL's circuits too. Oh well.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do...

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
By far one of my favorite movie scenes of all time, thanks to Mr. Kubric...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
2001: A Space Odyssey --- Still frustrating and confusing people after 50 years.
Ya gotta love it. :lol:

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I saw the movie at a theater when it was brand new, and didn't get very much out of it. So I read the book and saw the movie again. Much better the second time. Duh...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If you don't get the movie, it will make more sense to just watch the ending sequence synchronized to Pink Floyd's Echoes...you'll have no more questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f88NZ1sxWX0

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've not seen it sober, but can understand why you don't like it. Seeing it while under the influence of some seriously high grade LSD provides a truly out of body experience. Under the right circumstances it's a profoundly creepy, but beautiful movie.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Read the Arthur C Clarke book and sequels, movie was an experiment. Best Kubrick film? A Clockwork Orange, hands down.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Ho got old because he lived with and learned from Aliens over the span of his lifetime. In the end they taught him their ultimate secret - how to reincarnate himself.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Watch the sequel, Space Odyssey 2010 while 2001 is still fresh in your mind. I was confused but enjoyed the first but thoroughly enjoyed the second.
HAL-9000: What is going to happen?
Dave: Something wonderful.
HAL-9000: I'm afraid.
Dave: Don't be. We'll be together.
HAL-9000: Where will we be?
Dave: Where I am now

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"Why didn't HAL close the emergency air lock? Or trap Dave in the port? Or do anything to fight back?"
Because the airlock had manual override controls and once Dave had his full suit on there wasn't much that HAL could do to stop him.

May 31, 2012
Best Kubrick film? A Clockwork Orange, hands down.
+1
But 2001 is great too.
I've collected all the action figures and like to re-enact some of the scenes,

it's a fun hobby.
Sometimes,

I think that I am actually the Monolith.
Or the Monolith is me,

before I was born.
Y'know,

or everything there ever was all encapsulated in that dense compacted block,

like all of creation,

sort of like a solid black hole if you get my drift,

the other side of the universe and all that.
monolith.jpg

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I love that movie. It's hard for me not to get lost in it every time I watch it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If you like Full Metal Jacket, you might enjoy the movie that inspired it, Apocalypse Now.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
My favorite Stanley Kubrick film would have to be Dr. Strangelove. George C. Scott was so over the top. I liked Clockwork Orange when I was younger but I have been afraid to watch it again and be disappointed.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Went to see it twice when it was released at the Michael Todd Theater in Chicago, which was a road show theater and no longer there in 1968 (69?) after Uncle Sam released me. I had no f’ing what it was all about and only went to see it with one of my Army buddies while stoned on LSD. Then again, at times my friends and I would watch the old reruns of Flash Gordon late at night while stoned and turn down the sound while listening to Led Zeppelin and laugh our collective ass’ off so that explains a lot. Some good old times and a shame that I can’t remember half of them. I tried watching it again about a year ago and turned it off after about 30 minutes... just not the same and totally bored with it. Hmm... I can't for the life of me understand why? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.