PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, we just finished watching this documentary highlighting the classic back-up singers: Darlene Love, Merry Clayton, Lisa Fischer, etc. are all highlighted. Some of my favorite rock songs have back-up vocals from these ladies (and solo efforts) If you enjoy this kind of music, don't miss this movie.
http://twentyfeetfromstardom.com/

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have the dvd and agree. The background singers and studio musicians are largely "unsung" heroes that are mostly known by other musicians. Few people think about those who make the music and that's a shame.

If anyone remembers "Fernwood Tonight" with Martin Mull, the band "Happy Kine & his Mirthmakers" were the wrecking crew who were famous for all of the LA based recordings of the 60's and 70's. Tommy Tedesco, on guitar, was a giant in the industry as well as the others.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
My very good friend, and camera operator of many years shot quite a bit of the film. He's an occasional pipe smoker too!
I really enjoyed the film as well. Any music lover should, I think.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Of course "Twenty Feet from Stardom" won the Oscar for documentaries this year, which was well-deserved.

We saw it about two months ago and loved it. We didn't know it had a chance at the Oscar and were delighted

when it won.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is pretty neat houndstooth. I would really enjoyed meeting Darlene Love. We are definitely making the trip to NYC next December for her Christmas show. I also recall seeing one music exec, in a still shot, with a pipe clamped firmly in his mouth.
It must make those ladies sick to see the commercial success of women like Britney Spears, their talent far eclipses that sorry excuse for an entertainer or the other auto-tune "musicians"....

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have not seen this documentary, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.
On these same lines, have any of you seen the documentary "Standing in The Shadows of Moetown"? It is a documentary about the Funk Brothers who, according to the producer, wrote more #1 hits than Elvis, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones combined, and no one knows who they are. They were the band behind the scenes writting and performing all the music coming out of that era.
I strongly recommed checking out this great film!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
northernneil, I also own Standing In The Shadows. Great piece of work. It's great to see documentaries like these are finally shining the spot light on those who contributed to the American music catalog.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks for the tip on "Standing in the Shadows of Motown", it's no in my DVD que at Netflix.
I'm also waiting for the release of "AKA Doc Pomus" which hasn't been released on DVD yet.

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/A.K.A.-Doc-Pomus/70286699?trkid=226872
I heard his daughter be interviewed on a radio show and bought a copy of the book, "Lonely Avenue: The Unlikely Life & Times of Doc Pomus
http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Avenue-Unlikely-Times-Pomus/dp/0306815648

Status
Not open for further replies.