PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Are the Castello pipes with the gem in the stem the Carlo models? And the newer ones with the stripe style mark the Kino? I wondered why they changed their marque.
The gem is not a real gem, but it’s still a nice touch, I think they might still do it sometimes? Someone else might have more details.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Castello's are hard to resist once you try one. I've always felt that Castello always made the finest factory pipes in the world. Many people think otherwise.
As far as Italian pipes, I’ve had Caminettos and Ser Jacabos, I traded them for Castellos eventually. Lol. All fine pipes of course, just prefer Castello.

Reactions: kcghost

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The stem "fusing" is probably because of tobacco juice that has dried on it and is acting like a glue. Overnight in the frig and then a gentle rocking and twisting will usually fix it. Then give it a good cleaning. If the frig doesn't work try the freezer. By the way... sweet pipe. puffy

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I like the stems with the bar the best. I have one with the older stem with the “Diamond” inlay but it was drilled at a size that made it draw more like a Dunhill. I like my Italian pipes with a wide open draw and can easily pass a fluffy pipe cleaner.

I drilled mine out a wee bit and it smokes great now. Although I realize that I have lessened the value of the pipe, I enjoy smoking it much more now. It draws more like my newer Castellos with the bar inlay.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Castello's original logo was a white bar. When they started to export to the U.S. they discovered there was already a brand here called "White Bar" with a similar logo. They created the "diamond" logo for their export pipes. puffy
Wally Frank was the one who had already registered the white bar trademark in the US when Castello started importing to the States.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Beware of the design itself.

The way Castello executed it, anyway.

The shank extension is made from the same material as the stem, and the two can actually fuse together under the right conditions.

The catch is no one knows exactly what those conditions are. Some combination of surface contact area, pressure, heat, etc., of course, but not knowing precisely means it's a matter of luck that not much can be done to avoid. One day you give the stem a twist and it she no move. Try to force it, and the extension shears from the shank or the stem snaps.

I've lost count of the number of cases I've seen. One sent to me by one of the most well known pipemen in the world, so it's not a lack of experience thing, either.
I have two military mount Castellos with the shank extension and have never had that problem. i guess I’ve been lucky So far.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I have two military mount Castellos with the shank extension and have never had that problem. i guess I’ve been lucky So far.

It appears to be an inadvertent case of friction welding.

No doubt the joint clearance, cross sectional accuracy of the mortise & tenon (deviation from perfect circularity), what chemicals have recently been in contact with the surfaces, and etc. must be combinatorially exactly a certain way for it to happen, but it absolutely can. I've seen maybe 20 cases over the years. Might-as-well-be-a-single-piece acrylic stem fused into a shank extension made of the same stuff.

If the stem is misaligned / crooked / etc when it freezes, the fix ranges from difficult to impossible. If it happens with things lined up, long term use of the pipe depends on how much it is smoked, and what is smoked in it.

The takeaway is the situation becomes a non-issue if dissimilar materials are used for the extension and stem to start with (or at least where they make contact, such as by sleeving the shank).

Oct 7, 2016
Beware of the design itself.

The way Castello executed it, anyway.

The shank extension is made from the same material as the stem, and the two can actually fuse together under the right conditions.

The catch is no one knows exactly what those conditions are. Some combination of surface contact area, pressure, heat, etc., of course, but not knowing precisely means it's a matter of luck that not much can be done to avoid. One day you give the stem a twist and it she no move. Try to force it, and the extension shears from the shank or the stem snaps.

I've lost count of the number of cases I've seen. One sent to me by one of the most well known pipemen in the world, so it's not a lack of experience thing, either.
I have not one, not two, but three Castellos that have over the course of the years fused together. I have zero clue as to how to fix them, and I am not convinced anyone else does either.

Oct 7, 2016
The stem "fusing" is probably because of tobacco juice that has dried on it and is acting like a glue. Overnight in the frig and then a gentle rocking and twisting will usually fix it. Then give it a good cleaning. If the frig doesn't work try the freezer. By the way... sweet pipe. puffy
Not in my case. I keep pipes scrupulously clean. The freezer trick hasn't worked.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Get a KK if you’re going with Castello. Just my personal preference. I have had about 40 of them. Also, several Castello pipes not only have that gap at the shank as mentioned earlier, but also a gap at the stem to shank by a hair. If you get that, send it back to have straightened out or re-stemmed if you’re paying for new (not unsmoked like this one). Their quality control seems to lack attention in that area at times.

Reactions: Zero

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Get a KK if you’re going with Castello. Just my personal preference. I have had about 40 of them. Also, several Castello pipes not only have that gap at the shank as mentioned earlier, but also a gap at the stem to shank by a hair. If you get that, send it back to have straightened out or re-stemmed if you’re paying for new (not unsmoked like this one). Their quality control seems to lack attention in that area at times.
I'm not sure, but.... I suspect the little gap between the briar and the lucite was not there when the pipe left the factory and the problem developed later because of a difference in the amount of shrinkage and contraction of the two materials as the pipe heats and cools. puffy