PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
I got this catalog last week.
It turned out to actually have some interesting stuff innit.
Most notable, for me, is that they carried my beloved Thomas & Porteous Scots Cake!

:)

(I need another tin 'o that goodstuff!)
And,

the prices seem mighty fine too!
lxvPJJW.jpg

3k83t07.jpg

XAkYUkZ.jpg

yZWwofL.jpg

Q6ouuGp.jpg

5iMS0Ks.jpg

Am7pE1b.jpg

rYjVUXh.jpg

DagCz9G.jpg

uvAMByO.jpg

eCmnwMT.jpg

1hazH8U.jpg

quAl8pW.jpg

XqJTlZk.jpg

PqPSOtT.jpg

GjVMUYP.jpg

3pbqAoE.jpg

QSTYIVW.jpg

eGKB3hz.jpg

zYGsIxa.jpg

0JfENJO.jpg

WDAgGnL.jpg

YKgLvjB.jpg

gA4GrS4.jpg

FxbHpHW.jpg

E5w6Vl7.jpg

XdO2n2r.jpg

vo5Fnk8.jpg

WPlQHiZ.jpg

GYW2p5W.jpg

pC3HxQD.jpg

26tUy2B.jpg

WMSB4zl.jpg

May 31, 2012
:lol:

LOL

I did select a "few",

yes?
btw

I want the Kaywoodie pen.
It gives me a woody just lookin' at it!
My tamper head is a thumping!

:P

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
That's about the time I took up the pipe to augment the cigarette. Oh, and too impress the coeds as well. Impressionable freshman that I was.
I have mixed emotions about the post. I'm glad I can remember those days and, a bit sad that those days are indeed only memories.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I had to laugh at the part where they go "It's a man's world.. oh by the way, women are welcome too"
Having said that, I'll be in my TARDIS grabbing a great deal..

Oct 12, 2014
Every time I see the old ads I always think to myself that somebody, somewhere, mourned the loss of "Country Life Smoking Mixture" or whichever long gone brand, and did they cellar enough tins..was that even a thing then?
Then I rush off to order more of my favorites knowing that in the future somebody may be looking at a then old catalog wondering the same thing about me.. :)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
mlc, have you ever found any indication of what tobaccos went into the Scots Cake? I've looked around and can't find anything other than ads like this one and old tins (empty) for sale.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You could get Dunhills for $45 as recently as 1967. I guess it's like real estate prices. You just

can't fall into the trap of wishing for a time machine. Back in '67, $20 was a piece of change.

These catalog pages are a real walk through history. That's a great Peterson store front, too!

May 31, 2012
mlc, have you ever found any indication of what tobaccos went into the Scots Cake? I've looked around and can't find anything other than ads like this one and old tins (empty) for sale.
Pitch,

sadly, I have not.
It makes me wonder though - are all the old company documents and recipe books etc stored in an archive somewhere in Edinburgh?
Or were they eventually bought out by one of the big baccy co.'s and all T&P's old papers are sitting neglected somewhere in a huge dusty fileroom?
I'd love to see their recipe book!
Only glorious memory remains.
ATUwPm8.jpg

Oct 12, 2014
45 is somewhere around 300-350 bucks now..so Dunhill's have gone up quite a bit. Even factoring inflation in...
Whereas 1 dollar is about 7 & change now..so Tobacco has remained approx the same

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I truly love the nostalgia. In fact nostalgia has a lot to do with my smoking a pipe. Nonetheless, we're living in a new Golden Age for pipe smokers, with all the great blends available at an average of $10 a tin!

Status
Not open for further replies.