PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thomas, don't have the pipe yet, tracking says Friday?
Jesse, what do you mean you don't know? That is no answer, I expect you to know what country the briar is from and who picked it out of the ground. Now get back at it and find me the answers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If it doesn't I am going to chase Chasing down and make him smoke bowl after bowl of Mixture 79, so there.
You do realize that I go through a couple of pounds of Mixture 79 per year, right?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
chasing, I did not know that. I just got a pouch of 79 in as I have never tried it. One of my grandfathers smoked it so I decided I needed to try it. Will it ghost a pipe at all?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Will it ghost a pipe at all?
Oh yes, it will certainly ghost. Seems like an American take on Lakelands. It is definitely a polarizing blend, but a few on here have found they like it. I buy it in bulk now.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ah-crap-i-like-mixture-79

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The '50 LB shell and the '23 Bruyere 151, in particular, measure well against any pipe I have ever experienced, by any maker, from any era. Of course, these are earlier pipes, and times do change.
What happened after the '60s? I've not experienced a good Dunhill pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
chasing, thanks for the warning on the 79, now what pipe do I pick to take the hit?
After 1969 from what I was told, Dunhill stopped oil curing their briar and the pipes weren't the same.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
chasing, thanks for the warning on the 79, now what pipe do I pick to take the hit?
I would say try a cob to see if you like it first.
After 1969 from what I was told, Dunhill stopped oil curing their briar and the pipes weren't the same.
Now that makes a lot of sense. All of mine have been post '70, and not much to talk about.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hagley, are any of yours from 69 and earlier and how do they smoke? I like the LB because of the thickness of the walls, do yours smoke nice and cool?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hagley, thanks for the info. My pipe is scheduled to be here tomorrow so hopefully I will be reporting on how it smokes then. I have picked 2007 Stonehaven for it's maiden voyage. I am quit familiar with that blend so we shall see how the Dunhill performs. Is there a difference in pipes made after 1965? Is my 1966 or a 1967 going to be that different from a 65 and older? I read that the oil curing stopped after 1969.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
My '74 LB just after cleaning it up. Just couldn't get a good smoke out of it.
img_20170615_144912-600x577.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My pipe arrived and I am done with a bowl of 2007 Stonehaven. The pipe performed really well. It burned cool and bone dry and the tobacco tasted very nice. The pipe is in pristine condition as advertised. The stem is a tad thicker than my artisan made pipes but not so much that is uncomfortable. I am very happy I bought this and am looking forward to getting my next LB, I really love this shape.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
That's a really sharp pipe, and I'm glad to hear it meets your expectations. I'm fascinated by the finish. In the photos, it looks black, but in the last photo, it looks more reddish by the nomenclature. Is that just the lighting?

Oct 7, 2016
@hagley, I am sure there are differences of opinion and not to knock the really old pre WW

II examples, but for me the immediate postwar patent number LB's were among the best pipes I ever smoked. Maybe for most of the rest of the 1950's, but I only had a few of those. 60's examples were just not that magic. They did indeed smoke sweeter than a Snickers Bar - and drier than a popcorn fart. I never considered myself that much of a Dunhill guy, but I loved those 40's and 50's LB's.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I began the pipe I was overwhelmed with the hundreds of blends and pipes, and as I read the forums I was very happy to learn that this member loved Petersons and that member Ashtons, claiming to have had superlative experiences smoking them. But I was always curious to know in what way their favorite pipe delivered those superb smokes, and I still am, but find that such claims cannot be substantiated by them or by me, having smoked my share of better pipes.
To be blunt, I find no difference from one pipe to another. Since we are inevitably mind and body, no event can be claimed to be experienced by one or the other. In the same way the pipe experience begins from the moment I decide to smoke through the time when I choose the pipe and tobacco, through loading, lighting and smoking it. The subjective in this enters by my palate and continues to the pipe cradling the tobacco and the place where I am smoking. The experience is inner and outer, subjective and objective. As the two are inextricably mixed, there is no way to declare whether the smoking experience can be attributed to both or either.
Things are as we think they are and cannot be other. The observer of an experiment influences the outcome. Thinking that pipes do or do not significantly influence the pipe experience makes it so. Since my mind says they do not, they do not; but this is what my studied experience tells me.

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
1957-dunhill-tanshell-lbs-2-600x549.jpg

I do love the profile of a good LBS. Though as someone else noted the first pictured pipe in the original post is a 6LB due to the saddle stem you really can't go wrong with that classic chunky english billiard. Here is my own 1957 LBS and definitely one of my prizes. :puffy:

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
Saltedplug, very well said! Did you study philosophy? While I agree with everything you've said, I think one factor that plays into our experiences with pipe smoking is the quality and pedigree of the pipe itself. Like a beautiful vintage car, or the latest Mercedes, a high quality briar pipe holds value that a less expensive pipe can't hold. And if it adds to the enjoyment of the smoker, all the better. We all have different taste, and that's what makes life interesting.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Here is my own 1957 LBS
That's either a Redbark (meaning it was made after 1971/72); your camera's color balance is way off; or it's a '57 Shell that was refinished in red.
Can you post a pic of the stamping? The Baker Street Irregulars will be in agony until you do. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.