PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2018
You wouldn't believe its closing in on 100 years - incredible work, he kept the integrity in tact and likely gave it another 100 years. :clap:

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Thanks for the kind words about the work, gentlemen, and you know that the pleasure was all mine, uperepik. Enjoy that pipe!
That stem patch was the most technically challenging one I've ever tackled. I've had bigger and I've had gnarlier, but I've never had one that required more engineering. To give you guys a better idea of what I was dealing with, here's an enlargement after cleaning...
f8Taarf.jpg

The former owner's teeth had acted like tiny excavators that scraped away minuscule amounts of material each time he smoked. What was left was one continuous surface from the exterior of the stem down to the floor of the airway funnel. The darkest area at the left of the hole is the end of the airway drilling (yeah, it's a little off-center). So, the slot internals had to be recreated without any stops or snags that could hang up a pipe cleaner. That's a helluva tough thing to pull off when your first shot is your only shot, but I'm fairly happy with the results of this one.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Wonderful. I was going to be productive tonight. Now I will just sit and look and this wonderful post and link. Strong work gentleman.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I see what you were telling me now, So it wasn’t that it was crushed it was gone. Ha

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I know a guy who actually had the points of several teeth rounded off by a dentist because of the damage they were doing to his pipes. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.