PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
@georged -- Thanks very much for the kind words. It's a good thing the internet can't see me blush.
I've been at this long enough to have encountered and/or been approached by many people who fell in love with the IDEA of being a high-level restorer/repairman, but in the end that's all it was. That's not the case here, I don't think.

Once, at a Q&A session with a published author, someone asked the most FAQ at those types of events, "What advice would you give to young writers just starting out?"
The author answered, "If you can quit writing. Do it."
At the time, I thought that was an incredibly rude and inconsiderate reply, but I understand it now. I couldn't quit if I wanted to and I don't want to.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
@dave g -- Drop by while I'm trying to make square pegs fit into round holes and you'll see how "easy" I make it look. :lol:
I'm not against doing a full, factory reset on a pipe if it has it in it, but this one didn't. Too much baggage and that's a good thing in this case. With the right piece and a little finesse I think it can be done well though.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's not the case here, I don't think.
Holy shit. I just realized I used a double negative. How embarrassing.
Edit time limit expiration something something grumble grumble grrrrr... :evil:
I guess it's a common enough error that most people know what you mean based on context, though.
My apologies in any event.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Impressive call all the way around.
To Oldewylie for choosing to honor a well used and much loved 100 year old pipe. And to Piffyr for honoring that request with such a quality restoration.
I'm very grateful belonging to this clambake when I see the level of respect shown to this old warhorse.
Well done, you two.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Fnord

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I missed this the first time 'round. WOW! That's the way I like to see these old survivors revived. Well Done Anthony!..... :clap: You managed to preserve the CHARACTER of that centenarian, and you did it well.

Oldwylie- Thanks so much for the backstory......... Always adds so much to the post. I love when one can learn the history of a pipe- it enhances the whole experience..

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
What a beautiful restoration. Painstaking, loving, passionate, exciting and satisfying is what I see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.