PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Goggy302

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2021
Lewes Delaware
Gawith Hoggarth Fans. Here's my question. Is Dark Flake Unscented and Dark Plug the same tobacco. Meaning is it the same components/ingredients. I think they are both Virginia/Burley but are they 2 different tobaccos completely or the same just one is a Plug and the other is a Flake. Because I want to buy both but not if they are pretty much the same. I already have Dark Flake Unscented and I was thinking of buying Dark Plug. Just was wondering 🤔 please let me know who ever knows. Thanks much appreciated

G

Gimlet

As far as I'm aware, yes they're the same tobacco in flake and plug form. Both are a mix of Malawian dark fired and Indian dark air cured tobaccos prepared in the same way.

Compare the descriptions for both at the bottom of the page on this link. they would appear to be identical:

GQ are my regular online supplier in the UK and they're very reliable and well informed.

Maybe of you wanted to buy stock for cellaring, the plug might be the better option for its storing and maturing qualities.

G

Gimlet

I'm thinking of buying my favourite GH flakes in plug form. I enjoy the process of cutting of preparing plug and a small slice of cut across the grain crumbles easily with less handling than flake and a block of plug maintains its flavour better once opened.
I smoke SG 1792 a lot and Cob plug is 1792 in plug form. It would be interesting to see if there's a difference in smoking quality buying it as plug. The flavour is supposed to be more intense with the plug, but whether that's because the recipes are different or because plug concentrates and maintains flavour better, I don't know.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
As a general rule when bot flake and plug version of the same blend are available I prefer the plug as, maybe just in my mind, but I sense the plug combine and mellow better the flavors, ages better and because I like to slice and prepare the plug.