PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Man it’s hard to deny it after years of being away but there was just something special about that place. I look back on it fondly although at the time it was not anything worth being nostalgic about. I guess it takes years of distance to recall how amazing it was. The ice cold temps one day which turned into sweltering humidity the next which caused the tent to become a damp swamp of smoky wetness. It was like showering in smoke with your clothes on. And God forbid if it rained. The rooms that were of very questionable quality and the entire wing that was “closed” which were a rite of passage. The great mystery of what was gonna happen to your credit card information. The feeling that you were trapped in the Overlook Hotel from The Shining. The wild and completely unexplainable “owners apartment” thing that could be accessed from a secret door only to find throngs of people jammed into a time warp decorated room that resembled the scene from Rosemarys Baby. The carpet that squished when you walked in it leaving foot impressions where you walked. The annual Prom Night coinciding with the pipe show (can you imagine having your high school prom in that place!) The massive industrial fans in the hallways all night long. The pool I never was brave enough to swim in. The random and completely awesome jam sessions that used to spring up on occasion. Man I’m glad the CPS has a new home and there’s people digging it but unless you were there all those years you will NEVER KNOW. especially with the absolutely insane crowds and camaraderie that will always be a part of pipe lore.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The owner’s apartment made you think that a drunken Burt Reynolds might be laying on a tattered bearskin rug in the corner. It was a tired blast from the past, that’s for certain. It definitely had its charms.

The late night jam sessions were back in full force this year, though. In Steve Norse’s Vermont Freehand room, Tyler Huckfelt, Scott Thile, Stefan Cashwell, Jonathan Adams, Paul Levine, Jared Coles, and Truett Smith, and probably others played at various times. I might’ve spotted a bottle of Clase Azúl and some great pulled pork, courtesy of Jason Patrick. It reminded me of great times in pubs in Donegal listening to Irish trad sessions. The space lacks the atmospheric charm of the owner’s apartment, but the memories are just as great.

I’m sorry I didn’t capture a song featuring more musicians, but here’s Scott Thile and Tyler Huckfelt performing a great Johnny Cash piece.

One thing a lot of folks will not miss about Pheasant Run is the crazy layout, confusing, mysterious stairways and corridors, and the lengthy walks. The Hyatt is really conveniently laid-out, with the rooms mostly around a center atrium with four excellent elevators. They take you down to ground level where everything is a relatively short walk away.

Plus, the location of the hotel is super convenient for people flying in and there are a ton of great restaurants nearby. While it’s actually in suburban Rosemont, Chicago is very close. In fact, a CTA train station is just a few blocks away and it will take you directly into the Loop.

We’ll all have a warm spot in our hearts for Pheasant Run, but the Hyatt Regency O’Hare won over a lot of people this year.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The ice cold temps one day which turned into sweltering humidity the next which caused the tent to become a damp swamp of smoky wetness. It was like showering in smoke with your clothes on. And God forbid if it rained.
Unfortunately, this is not something resigned to the past. We were extremely fortunate this year with the weather. Mid-April can be anywhere from the low-40s to the low-80s here in Chicago. It’s our rainiest month. We’ll be moving back to the first weekend in May for at least the next two years, so it’s reasonable to expect similar conditions as we had at Pheasant Run. One downside to the tent location at the Hyatt is that we’re unable to attach it to the hotel with a covered walkway due to a fire lane. In the event of rain, you’ll need to walk between the raindrops to get to the smoking tent door.

One really nice thing this year was that LakeAir, a manufacturer of smoke eaters based in Wisconsin, lent us several large smoke eaters for our tent. On the Pipe and Tamper show recap, Jay Furman mentioned how much better the ventilation was this year. The air was much clearer, yes, but it wasn’t due to ventilation. It was those US-made air cleaners from lakeair.com. I wish now that I had picked up one of their show-priced home models. Next year.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Craig you nailed that description with the Burt Reynolds image! And yes there was something about that Pheasant Run layout that made you think it was 15 hotels duct taped together in a bizarre manner, nothing was consistent, from the mega center to the ballroom, then onto the pool area, then a pub in the middle of the hallway, then onto the lobby of the tower, everything just looked like 15 styles in one location! We haven’t even talked about the “New Orleans restaurant“, man that place was insane!

There will never be another experience like that place although I am totally thrilled we found a place to call home.

• Love
Reactions: craiginthecorn

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Those were the days. I remember when you could enjoy your pipe anywhere in the hotel. The bar/lounge area was always packed with the who’s who of the pipe makers drinking and having a good time. I remember one year having to sleep on the floor of that spongy, nasty carpet for two nights in a friends room. Those shows were an adventure. I was lucky to work both sides as a retailer and a consumer and loved both equally. Sadly many of the friends I made back then are no longer with us, but the memories will last forever.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It seems like so long ago; The PR was really getting run down and falling into disrepair. Remember the high school that had their prom on Saturday night. Good lord, those high school girls looked like movie stars in the low cut-off outfits with bodies that could turn an old man on. It was no place to hang around.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Those were the days. I remember when you could enjoy your pipe anywhere in the hotel. The bar/lounge area was always packed with the who’s who of the pipe makers drinking and having a good time. I remember one year having to sleep on the floor of that spongy, nasty carpet for two nights in a friends room. Those shows were an adventure. I was lucky to work both sides as a retailer and a consumer and loved both equally. Sadly many of the friends I made back then are no longer with us, but the memories will last forever.
I thought about this too. There were many “regulars” at the Pheasant Run that have since passed on. I remember having a long and spontaneous conversation with Bruce Weaver at the breakfast coffee place in the hallway for hours - good guy and his yellow sweater was iconic!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Man it’s hard to deny it after years of being away but there was just something special about that place. I look back on it fondly although at the time it was not anything worth being nostalgic about. I guess it takes years of distance to recall how amazing it was. The ice cold temps one day which turned into sweltering humidity the next which caused the tent to become a damp swamp of smoky wetness. It was like showering in smoke with your clothes on. And God forbid if it rained. The rooms that were of very questionable quality and the entire wing that was “closed” which were a rite of passage. The great mystery of what was gonna happen to your credit card information. The feeling that you were trapped in the Overlook Hotel from The Shining. The wild and completely unexplainable “owners apartment” thing that could be accessed from a secret door only to find throngs of people jammed into a time warp decorated room that resembled the scene from Rosemarys Baby. The carpet that squished when you walked in it leaving foot impressions where you walked. The annual Prom Night coinciding with the pipe show (can you imagine having your high school prom in that place!) The massive industrial fans in the hallways all night long. The pool I never was brave enough to swim in. The random and completely awesome jam sessions that used to spring up on occasion. Man I’m glad the CPS has a new home and there’s people digging it but unless you were there all those years you will NEVER KNOW. especially with the absolutely insane crowds and camaraderie that will always be a part of pipe lore.
Speaking of prom night, my buddy and I had an interesting encounter with a prom “chauffeur” at Pheasant Run. See my post in the thread below:

Rolls Royce

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My enduring memory of that place was being there in 2015 with @woodsroad on the Standard Tobacco stand. We were eating in the restaurant and I ordered Lobster Mac and Cheese. I commented to Dan that it didn't taste of much, he suggested I add pepper. I still couldn't taste any lobster so Dan decided to try it. He managed to eat it all and then told me that it didn't have any lobster in it and what purported to be lobster were in fact very large prawns. I asked him if he had enjoyed it. He informed me that he did not but had forced himself to eat it. I did not stop laughing for hours afterwards!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My enduring memory of that place was being there in 2015 with @woodsroad on the Standard Tobacco stand. We were eating in the restaurant and I ordered Lobster Mac and Cheese. I commented to Dan that it didn't taste of much, he suggested I add pepper. I still couldn't taste any lobster so Dan decided to try it. He managed to eat it all and then told me that it didn't have any lobster in it and what purported to be lobster were in fact very large prawns. I asked him if he had enjoyed it. He informed me that he did not but had forced himself to eat it. I did not stop laughing for hours afterwards!
“Prawns” was wishful thinking. It was probably sea slugs.

Pheasant Run was probably a great place in 1972, but when we were there, it was more like a faded East German motel where politburo members hooked up with aged Bulgarian prostitutes.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
“Prawns” was wishful thinking. It was probably sea slugs.

Pheasant Run was probably a great place in 1972, but when we were there, it was more like a faded East German motel where politburo members hooked up with aged Bulgarian prostitutes.
The Tower had a total had a total makeover when we arrived in 2002 and was a huge upgrade from the Ramada and our one year at Indian Lakes. Everything worked and was really nice. The resort went slowly downhill after the family sold it and nosedived after the first bankruptcy.