Why do Sellers Avoid Pics of the Chamber?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
Title edited to broaden subject and add capitals. Please see rule 9.

I'm genuinely curious: Why do so many sellers on eBay and other platforms avoid listing a photo of the chamber? I mean, I often see a dozen pics showing the same angles, but not a single illuminated photo of the chamber. It seems easy enough - use a flashlight, take a picture. It's an important part of information, right? I'm not talking about pipe lots or the random seller who happens upon some estate pipes, but the dealers that sell nice pipes on a regular basis. Does it add too much time? Is it difficult to do? I know I'm asking a lot here, but while we're at it, can we get pics of the shank face and tenon too? /rant

Last edited by a moderator:

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Yes. Lighting and appearance. Some ebay sellers I would guess think it's not the most glamourous part of the pipe. And trying to get the light just right to show texture and detail is just too much. I've tried and it can be done but the time to fuss with with it makes it too inconvenient. Try it. You'll see the pics don't really do the chamber justice.

Reactions: EchoPlex

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm genuinely curious: Why do so many sellers on eBay and other platforms avoid listing a photo of the chamber? I mean, I often see a dozen pics showing the same angles, but not a single illuminated photo of the chamber. It seems easy enough - use a flashlight, take a picture. It's an important part of information, right? I'm not talking about pipe lots or the random seller who happens upon some estate pipes, but the dealers that sell nice pipes on a regular basis. Does it add too much time? Is it difficult to do? I know I'm asking a lot here, but while we're at it, can we get pics of the shank face and tenon too? /rant
I don't bid on pipe auctions that don't show me the "business" parts of the pipe, the rim and chamber and the bit and slot. If I'm genuinely interested in the pipe in question I'll contact the seller to ask for photographs of those neglected areas. Often a seller provides me coverage of those areas, occasionally the seller doesn't respond, which is a fail for me.
As others have said, it's not possible to take an attractive photo of a pipe's chamber, just as it's not possible to take an attractive photo of one's colon. So I suspect that many sellers think posting such a view could put them at a disadvantage.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
I mean, most sellers can't even get photos in focus and exposed somewhat properly.
I really want to see pix of the inside of the stem!

Vulcanoscopy or no deal!

It’s difficult to do, the lighting is pretty tricky. And even when done properly it doesn’t really show what it should.

Have you ever had a seller refuse to send you pics of the chamber when you asked?

But wouldn't it, at least, show some of the more obvious potential damage/defects like cracks or misaligned or gaping draft holes? I was just messing around with the camera on my phone, with my phone's light on, and was able to easily get decent shots that would give me confidence (or not!).

I haven't had a seller outright refuse, but I have had several simply not reply! I didn't buy.

I guess, because I have been burned a couple times on expensive pipes, having this information is important to me. Yeah, I can ask every single time, but it just seems odd to me that it isn't standard to post these photos.

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
As usual, Jesse is right on the money. In my experience some sellers who only sell pipes incidently don't even think of including a photo of the chamber, as they don't understand its importance. Some experienced pipe sellers may avoid including a chamber photo because, fior example, it may reveal a problem with draft hole placement or size.
If a potential buyer asks a question about the draft hole drilling or any other question about the condition of the chamber, the seller may respond in a way that is at variance the buyer's opinion upon inspection after purchase. A photo of the chamber can often enable the buyer to make a more informed decision. Most sellers will provide a decent photo, if asked. Sometimes the photos are not helpful, but in my view if you ask and don't get move on.

Reactions: sablebrush52

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think it's because a lot of people won't know what they're looking at. I've seen too many people call a small fissure in cake a crack or damage to think I would want to take the pic of the inside of the chamber if I was selling a pipe.

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I bet a lot of people don't even think thats a necessary picture. Just grandpas gross old pipe anyways right? puffy
I was at a flee market one time. Seller had a bunch of racks. I asked where the pipes were, she said she threw those stinky things in the trash. She really gave me a strange look when I told her that's where the money was!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hi Jon, please feel free not to gift me with one of those.

I also procured a bespoke Villeroy & Boch bone china dinner set of the same pattern; perhaps a place setting of those instead? Or even just a dessert plate?