PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I know we should gladly sacrifice for lent and my wife convinced me to give up french fries and soft drinks.

Unfortunately because she was doing the same plus she was giving up sweets she pressed me to give up something else. She dictated 3 choices. Sweets, Whiskey, or Pipe.

This was difficult because I enjoy a sweet (Ghirardelli chocolate) and a dram of whisky/whiskey every evening. So I gave up the pipe.

Arrrrgggggg!!!

I am surviving but need another idea for next year. Any suggestions?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I don’t get any of those on a regular basis but I’d have given up the whisky.

Press on but if it’s really getting to you then you can reneg on the pipe smoking and continue on with the other two. Then when Easter rolls around you better quit pipe smoking for 50 days just to be fair.

Reactions: Old_Newby

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I know we should gladly sacrifice for lent and my wife convinced me to give up french fries and soft drinks.

Unfortunately because she was doing the same plus she was giving up sweets she pressed me to give up something else. She dictated 3 choices. Sweets, Whiskey, or Pipe.

This was difficult because I enjoy a sweet (Ghirardelli chocolate) and a dram of whisky/whiskey every evening. So I gave up the pipe.

Arrrrgggggg!!!

I am surviving but need another idea for next year. Any suggestions?
Yes, lie to the wife & stash the sweets, whisky or tobacco. Confess to your priest & graciously accept absolution. If you feel guilty for doing this, bribe the priest & find out what your wife’s been confessing about.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm glad my wife decided to give up on the church some years ago
We were both brought up as Catholics, attended Catholic schools and I lived in a Catholic college at university.
At one stage I was going to enter a seminary.
Until I discovered girls and how much fun sin was 😁

Sin, guilt and penance are keystones of Catholicism
Your trangressions, no matter how great, will be forgiven if you go to confession.
And if accompanied by a (very) generous donation to the Church, you may even be greeted by St Peter himself when you enter the Pearly Gates rotf

I'm NOT against religion, or Catholicism for that matter.
I find solace in quiet prayer or contemplation.
Just what passes as church practices

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Tell that to the Indian's of North and South America, tobacco is holy and no different to incense in meaning or effect.
And, excluding non-christian indigenous people, they would be observing a Catholic rite why? I do acknowledge some other Christian religions also recognize Lent. But, non-Christian indigenous folk who also treat tobacco and other plant material with reverence? I doubt they observe Lent. At least, after some study, I can find no American indigenous people whose "native" religion observes Lent.

As an aside: Lumping all NA and SA indigenous peoples into a single group, with regards to their beliefs, ignores the many and significant differences between the various recognized groups with regard to their varied systems of beliefs regarding god, origins and such. See,s lazy to me but, that's simply my simple opinion.