PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I my desperation to find something anything on the tube worth I decided to watch "Barbie" that "everyone" is saying is great. It was absolutely awful. From the very opening scenes to the ending credits this movie sucked. Do not watch this move or prepare to have your testicles literally become a withering mass of goo. There are those who are moaning over Margo (Barbie) and Greta (Director) failing to receive any kind of love from the Oscar Academy. To that I say, "Poor Babies". Their only justification for their claim is complaining about Ryan Gosling receiving one. I must agree that one is truly mystifying to me.

The only performances that were tolerable were my America Ferrara and the girl played her daughter.

Watching this movie will cause erectile dysfunction for a month.

My wife always says, "I took one for the team" after we finish... uhhhh :::cough cough::: anyways, ha ha, you did better than me if you stayed awake through that entire movie. I think I fell asleep when Barb and Ken were on some sort of jetski thing... I can't even remember anything before that either. Awful stuff. But, somethin g tells me that a vagina is required to understand that movie.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Be ready for more Barbie themed movies:

Xxxx

The film has grossed $1.446 billion and achieved several milestones, including becoming the highest-grossing film of 2023, the 14th highest-grossing film of all time, and the highest grossing comedy film, the first to gross over $1 billion.

Xxxx

The movie was about sexism in the modern world. Ken gets his just deserts in the end and Barbie gets a real whoo haw.

I saw it and think Margo Robbie is a perfect Barbie Doll, you know?

She is in the same league as Grace Kelly.

Ryan Gosling, ain’t no Gary Cooper.:)

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Only a month?

And how do you know how long it will last if you just watched it? Is there a disclaimer at the beginning about it, like a Surgeon General's warning-type thing?

I won't even ask about the testicle-goo thing. I'm proud to say I've learned at least that much.

Might I suggest unwinding with a good Spaghetti western so as to ease yourself back into normal cinema?

Reactions: kcghost

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I my desperation to find something anything on the tube worth I decided to watch "Barbie" that "everyone" is saying is great. It was absolutely awful. From the very opening scenes to the ending credits this movie sucked. Do not watch this move or prepare to have your testicles literally become a withering mass of goo. There are those who are moaning over Margo (Barbie) and Greta (Director) failing to receive any kind of love from the Oscar Academy. To that I say, "Poor Babies". Their only justification for their claim is complaining about Ryan Gosling receiving one. I must agree that one is truly mystifying to me.

The only performances that were tolerable were my America Ferrara and the girl played her daughter.

Watching this movie will cause erectile dysfunction for a month.
Hope things are looking "up" come March!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Be ready for more Barbie themed movies:

Xxxx

The film has grossed $1.446 billion and achieved several milestones, including becoming the highest-grossing film of 2023, the 14th highest-grossing film of all time, and the highest grossing comedy film, the first to gross over $1 billion.

Xxxx

The movie was about sexism in the modern world. Ken gets his just deserts in the end and Barbie gets a real whoo haw.

I saw it and think Margo Robbie is a perfect Barbie Doll, you know?

She is in the same league as Grace Kelly.

Ryan Gosling, ain’t no Gary Cooper.:)
Sorry man, you lost me at granting here Grace Kelly status. Margo was really good as Sharon Tate, good actress for sure but not "generational" IMO nor in any movies with the gravitas of some of Grace's pics, and she didn't even make all that many.

Barbie nominated for Best Picture should be enough, haha, but then again, isn't almost every film nominated these days?

I used to love watching the Academy Awards, now only tolerate the parts I watch because my wife still trots out the homemade fudge and buttered popcorn.

Isn't @sablebrush52 a member of the Academy? Maybe they can't discuss except under penalty of death or forced to have lunch with the latest incarnation of Meg Ryan's face, but would be interesting if he could share what his takes are.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm going to have to go with @Briar Lee here. I found it very funny especially when Ken found a world not dominated by women and went a little nuts. The entire story is driven by America Ferrara's character's feelings as a failed designer being projected through her doll "Margot" and seeing what happens to a Barbie when their owner suffers.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Isn't @sablebrush52 a member of the Academy? Maybe they can't discuss except under penalty of death or forced to have lunch with the latest incarnation of Meg Ryan's face, but would be interesting if he could share what his takes are.
I'm in the wrong Academy. I'm in the Academy Of Television Arts and Sciences, EMMYs not Oscars. I qualify and could join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, but don't really have any desire to do so.

I haven't seen Barbie, but at some point I'll get around to it.

Anything that makes a ton of money is going to be duplicated until people start vomiting at the thought of it. That's how the studio "geniuses" keep their well paid jobs. They're overwhelmingly pretend "creatives". There are a few, not many, who are the real deal, and they are amazing to work with.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'm in the wrong Academy. I'm in the Academy Of Television Arts and Sciences, EMMYs not Oscars. I qualify and could join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, but don't really have any desire to do so.

Anything that makes a ton of money is going to be duplicated until people start vomiting at the thought of it. That's how the studio "geniuses" keep their well paid jobs. They're overwhelmingly pretend "creatives". There are a few, not many, who are the real deal, and they are amazing to work with.
I like that Academy better! But darn it, "The Bob Newhart Show" should have won at least once, lol.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I just texted my oldest daughter who was a Barbie-o-phile as a kid and is a pretty with it young adult. Her response was "entertaining on the surface, but deeper it is a very interesting social commentary", so I'll have to find out why the wife hasn't suggested watching it, or even watched on her own. I expect, "You want to watch 'Barbie'?"

I watched the animated Barbie movies with the girls ages ago, wore a tiara playing the Barbie princess board game, don't want this to spoil those memories but this Oscar nod has spiked my curiosity.

EDIT: follow up text, lol: "I don't think you'd think it would be a waste of time to watch." Her way of saying, "just watch it Dad" but preparing me all the same.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
It's streaming on Max but you probably knew that. Its plot is hella thin and all of the best parts are already in the trailers save the musical numbers. The didactic points are made with a very light touch. It would have been better if someone like Roald Dahl had written it, i.e., someone with a mean streak. But it obviously resonated with a LOT of people so much so that I think it would have been hard to make a failure. The denouement, which nobody talks about, is mildly amusing and I'm surprised that it isn't much talked about. (Oh, I see @Briar Lee mentions it).

I was also amused to find out that Mattel made a
Sugar Daddy Ken

Last edited:
Reactions: sablebrush52
Status
Not open for further replies.