PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OneXBigTom

Lurker
Dec 18, 2023
Lamar, South Carolina
Hi all. Quick introduction that gets long. Name is Tom, 57 and just started smoking a pipe a week ago.

It all started when a friend of mine sent me some tobacco that he smoked and I loved the smell. I went out to the local tobacco shop and bought a plastic pipe with a metal bowl. (All they had) I wanted to try smoking a pipe with my friend's tobacco. Even in that crap plastic pipe, I loved the taste.

Next day I ran out and got a real Briarwood pipe (KSI pipe, $50) 2 pouches of cherry Cavendish, Borkum Riff and Captain Black.

Went home packed a bowl and fell in love.

I am a cigarette smoker. I smoke a pipe and good for a few hours and then looking to have another pipe. This tells me that I can wait more time in-between pipes then I can with cigarettes. As a life long coffin nail smoker, I am struggling to quit them. Hopefully the pipe is the answer.

Now reading all about pipe smoking, you have to let your pipe rest. Now with this all being said, and how much I enjoy the pipe I went all in and spent my grandkids Christmas money on pipes lol 😆

I am hooked. Now here is a question for you all. Is it real bad to smoke a pipe all day then let it rest a week? Use 1 pipe a day and rotate the next day to another pipe? Yes, I bought 8 pipes within a week of starting to smoke a pipe. Even got me a few churchwarden pipes.

Long enough. Look forward to chatting with you all.
Tom

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, Tom. Nice Intro. I'd suggest you start a new thread with your questions. The simple answer is "It's not bad if it works for you." You will find many answers, suggestions more like it, to this question alone.

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Hey Tom,

Welcome to this forum, it’s a great place if you are after info, knowledge, help and sarcasm!

Great intro, I love the stories…..”went home packed a bowl and fell in love”…..awesome, you will be right at home here.

I’m fairly new here too, so I’ll give way to the older hands.

Enjoy and see you around!
Adam.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Welcome!

There are a number of guys who smoke one pipe all day. I don’t recall there being any issues reported but I’ll let them speak for themselves.

Glad the pipe is helping with the coffin nails.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. Don't complicate your smoking experience. If it works for you, then it's fine. Smoke your pipe all day, every day if that floats your boat. The pipe police won't track you down and beat the shit out of you. So enjoy!

Reactions: PaulRVA

OneXBigTom

Lurker
Dec 18, 2023
Lamar, South Carolina
Thank you all for the welcome. This is going to be a fun hobby and um expensive. Already talking to my wife about adding a smoking room to the house and only been smoking a pipe for a week. Maybe heck with the guest bedroom and make it my Den. Wife loves the smell of my pipe. Memories of her grandpa smoking his pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Welcome aboard. The only thing bad about smoking a pipe is you can easily become lazy and sit and smoke while thinking about all the things you want or need to do and never get around to doing them. Enjoy but stay busy.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
Welcome from The Bulldog!

I rotate pipes and let one rest a day if I feel like it. Letting a pipe rest is totally up to you. Just keep it clean and leave a cake of carbon in the bowl.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome from KC!! Remember to not pack your pipe so tightly and to slow down your puffing. Relighting is part of the process. It isn't a crime.