PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
If I could start cellaring over again I would use Mylar, simply because even jars fail. If I did use jars again I’d use new lids every time and I’d heat the jars to form a seal, that way I’d know when lids aren’t sealed properly. Tins I just inspect periodically but I’d Mylar square tins and bags if I were starting today.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I store my tins in snap lock waterproof containers as well. I store bulk in mason jars in the containers as well. Mylar may work better, but I like the visual of the tins. Its also easier.

The question is: HOW MUCH better is mylar? I would guess only 2-3% perhaps.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
If I could start cellaring over again I would use Mylar, simply because even jars fail. If I did use jars again I’d use new lids every time and I’d heat the jars to form a seal, that way I’d know when lids aren’t sealed properly. Tins I just inspect periodically but I’d Mylar square tins and bags if I were starting today.
When I was starting out I used to put the tobacco in the jars, then heat the jars in a pot with a little bit of simmering water for about 10 minutes, then place the snap lids on and let it cool to room temp. The lids would pop down and I'd be fairly confident of a long-term seal. Mylar is much quicker, simpler, cheaper, lighter, light-proof, etc, etc.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I store my tins in snap lock waterproof containers as well. I store bulk in mason jars in the containers as well. Mylar may work better, but I like the visual of the tins. Its also easier.

The question is: HOW MUCH better is mylar? I would guess only 2-3% perhaps.
I think it's about 98% lighter and 100% less breakable, not to mention 100% light/UV resistant. Also vacuumable, easier to seal, and much more space-efficient. I still have about 150 mason jars containing tobacco so I'm all set on the visual. The issue is practical storage. Mylar wins hands down. (The pin-hole issue mentioned above notwithstanding. I'm doubtful that quality products would present that issue.)

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
Most manufacturers will tell you that none of their packaging was intended for long term and that their products were intended for immediate use.
Hmmm. Most? Because my experience is that manufacturers care about their packaging and how it lasts and protects their product for a long time. At least the good ones do. For example, GL Pease shipped in mylar bags for a while, but that wasn't good enough for Mr. Pease and the practice was discontinued. Anyway, that's the same as saying that tobaccos are tinned the way they are intended to be smoked by the blender, yet people often dry them before smoking.

As far as storage, I've never had problems with tins popping open or rusting, but YMMV. I think the key is quality producers and proper storage.

P.S.- Actually, I had a tin with severe rust. It was a tin of Old Domestic. The packaging (tin) was of very poor quality and not what you find being used these days.

Reactions: JOHN72 and dunnyboy

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
GL Pease shipped in mylar bags for a while, but that wasn't good enough for Mr. Pease and the practice was discontinued.
Wrong.

Mr. Pease's comments on the matter are here.

Quote:

"I've experimented with foil/mylar bags in the past, even using them for a time for my 8oz packaging, and they performed excellently, but, sadly, were not well received by either customers or retailers, who just didn't like the "unconventional" packaging despite its many advantages. (Lighter shipping weight being only one of them.)"

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
I've always wondered if it would be prudent to get the food saver vacuum sealing bags and just seal the tins in there when I get them. Has anyone ever tried this route?
Yes, I do that to all my rectangular cans. Years ago I procured a fairly large batch of Squadron Leader and out of 10 tins 2 released seal after about 1 year of storage so I Jarred the 2 that opened and Food Saver bagged all the rest…..years later they are all sealed with on fermentation gas off into the vacuumed bags.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've always wondered if it would be prudent to get the food saver vacuum sealing bags and just seal the tins in there when I get them. Has anyone ever tried this route?
As long as you're using heavy grade, food storage rated, metallized Mylar the contents will be good for decades. Clear Mylar food storage is fine for dried foods, like beans, pasta for a few years, etc, but because clear Mylar is permeable, contents will dry out over time.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I always take my tobacco out of the tin immediately and jar it. Every time. The only exceptions I make are for tobaccos where I got them for free and don't want to waste the extra space and effort on them (I still got tins of last year's Xmas blends that are unopened).

At least once every couple of weeks, someone posts here where their tins ruptured or ask complete strangers if smoking mold is a good idea. It only reinforces my conviction that unless I plan on smoking through my tobacco fairly quickly, that it is best to jar it ASAP.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a question since this thread is posted. What about the paint can types of tins? Good or not good for long term storage? Also, once cracked open how long before it needs to be transfered to a jar? Unlike round tins there is no real rubber seal to engage.

thanks
That's a good question. I don't trust them, but as you can see from this thread there's no consensus on most questions regarding long-term storage. I think they might be better than the traditional flat round tin seals because they rely on compression of the lid itself. 🤷‍♂️

Calling @sablebrush52! What's your opinion on paint-can-style tins?
The paint can types of containers are not good for long term storage. After a few years the contents will become noticeably drier and will eventually dry out. This is much less of a problem if the can also has a plastic lid over the metal lid.
I have a fair amount of HU tobacco that I bought in 2016 and 2018. Back in 2016, most of the tins came with the secondary plastic cap. When I checked those 2016 cans a few years later, the cans with the plastic lid were fine while the cans without were very dry, a couple so dry that I felt obliged to rehydrate them. I've saved the plastic lids from the cans I smoked and added them to the other lidless cans after making sure the contents were still moist. I should probably just put them in Mylar and toss the cans.

When I bought a kilo of Director's Cut in 2019 I jarred it. For the move I transferred the contents to Mylar and heat sealed it.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I always take my tobacco out of the tin immediately and jar it. Every time. The only exceptions I make are for tobaccos where I got them for free and don't want to waste the extra space and effort on them (I still got tins of last year's Xmas blends that are unopened).

At least once every couple of weeks, someone posts here where their tins ruptured or ask complete strangers if smoking mold is a good idea. It only reinforces my conviction that unless I plan on smoking through my tobacco fairly quickly, that it is best to jar it ASAP.
A few years back I was reading posts at the Briar Blues channel on YouTube and was surprised to see one from Greg Pease stating that he had changed his position on keeping tobacco in the tin, after finding a number of "disappointments" in his cellar, and that he recommended immediately transferring the contents to jars after after purchase.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I store bulk blends or opened tins in mason jars, and I've never had an issue. I currently have about 50 plus jars in my pipe cabinet. I have some tobacco's that have been stored this way for 8, 9, and 10 years and they're still in great condition for smoking right out of the jar.

As for my tins, I just leave them as they are. About once a year I'll go through my pipe cabinet and sort through my tins to see what I forgot I had, and I'll give them a quick once over, but that's it. I don't do anything special. I've only ever had one tin go bad on me, and that was a Seattle Pipe Club tin. That one had holes develop in the bottom; however, there was no rust on the inside, so I have no idea how the holes got there. Only the tobacco right over the few holes was dry, the rest of the tin was fine, and it smoked fine.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I think it's about 98% lighter and 100% less breakable, not to mention 100% light/UV resistant. Also vacuumable, easier to seal, and much more space-efficient. I still have about 150 mason jars containing tobacco so I'm all set on the visual. The issue is practical storage. Mylar wins hands down. (The pin-hole issue mentioned above notwithstanding. I'm doubtful that quality products would present that issue.)
I have plenty of space in climate controlled away from light areas. I take that for granted, my bad. Thanks for pointing some of these ideas out to me.

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
I've had mould form in jars. I figure if the tobacco is prone to grow mould it will do so whether you jar it or leave it in the tin. Some loss will occur over time, consider it a cost of doing business.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I ditched the paint can tins today. I didnt trust them either. HU tobacco is already close to the moisture level you want so I transfered them to jars. The paint can lids are not as convenient as standard tins anyway...you need a tool to open them every time. Now they are in jars and safe.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Got several cans of Balkan Flake the other day. The cans have a plastic strip around where the lid lip meets the can... like a lot of food products do. I removed the plastic and I could feel the lid was kind of loose. No way this is a vacuum seal. The tobacco was still moist. After trying it I've decided to let it dry out some. It has the "grassy" Virginia taste I don't care for and as far as it being 30% Latakia, you could have fooled me. I didn't taste any Latakia flavor at all. If a few days of drying doesn't help it, I'll try mixing in some more Latakia and see what happens. puffy

View attachment 260820
FWIW, vacuum sealing on tins is done just to keep the lid on. It actually removes very little air.