PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale October 19. 5,000 tins were made.

The very spicy, earthy, woody, plumy, mildly raisiny St. James perique plays a strong role. The aged Izmir and sun cured Basma produce a fair amount of earth, wood, floralness, herbs, vegetation, spice, dry, sharp sourness, some buttery sweetness, and mild smokiness. They are not far behind the perique in terms of effect. The bright, red and 2019 red cavendish Virginias provide an abundance of tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, sugar, a good deal of tart and tangy citrus, some grass, vegetation, floralness, light spice, sour lemon, and a touch of vinegar as the base of the blend. The combination of perique and Orientals is why the Virginias are secondary team players instead of the lead despite their greater percentage in the mix. The strength and taste levels are in the center of medium to full. The nicotine is just below that mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness, though there are a few small rough notes. The moderately thick and thinner sliced flakes are mildly moist, and as per my custom, I did not give it any dry time for review. Burns cool, clean, and fairly slow with a well balanced, nuanced, zesty, deeply rich, and mostly consistent fruity, spicy, floral, herbal, mildly sour, lightly smoky flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note has some potency. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Four stars.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Do you tend to dry things for your regular smokes, or do you prefer to smoke most as it comes from the tin/package?
For review, I never dry it because the average smoker doesn't, and I try to tailor the reviews to the habits for as many people as possible. There have been a very few exceptions when something was so sopping wet that it was virtually unsmokable. Even then, I pick a small bowl to help out on that. I have to consistent about my methods for reviewing purposes.

It varies for myself just a tad when I'm relaxing or working while smoking. Some blends like FVF, SJF, Stonehaven, and a great many McClelland flakes (Dark Star being the worst) often require some dry time. I'm careful with that because I don't want to lose the inherent flavors of a blend. Having written that, I must admit some bends do benefit from a light/little/lot of dry time. In the case of Atalaya, I did try out a bowl of it dried for a couple of hours after I wrote the review to see what it was like. It was a step less sweet, and the spice/floral content a notch higher.

I've been smoking Stonehaven recently, and as it's medium moist, I'm not drying it. I've had it rather dry, and while I greatly enjoyed the higher tobacco flavor, I missed the toppings more. It's worth the extra smoking time for me. I feel that way at least 95% of the time as a general rule.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
For review, I never dry it because the average smoker doesn't, and I try to tailor the reviews to the habits for as many people as possible. There have been a very few exceptions when something was so sopping wet that it was virtually unsmokable. Even then, I pick a small bowl to help out on that. I have to consistent about my methods for reviewing purposes.

It varies for myself just a tad when I'm relaxing or working while smoking. Some blends like FVF, SJF, Stonehaven, and a great many McClelland flakes (Dark Star being the worst) often require some dry time. I'm careful with that because I don't want to lose the inherent flavors of a blend. Having written that, I must admit some bends do benefit from a light/little/lot of dry time. In the case of Atalaya, I did try out a bowl of it dried for a couple of hours after I wrote the review to see what it was like. It was a step less sweet, and the spice/floral content a notch higher.

I've been smoking Stonehaven recently, and as it's medium moist, I'm not drying it. I've had it rather dry, and while I greatly enjoyed the higher tobacco flavor, I missed the toppings more. It's worth the extra smoking time for me. I feel that way at least 95% of the time as a general rule.
Thank you for the explanation. It definitely makes a lot of sense and I appreciate your "objective as possible" approach to reviews.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you for the explanation. It definitely makes a lot of sense and I appreciate your "objective as possible" approach to reviews.
I appreciate that very much. Thank you. One thing I neglected to mention was that when I think a blend may be on the border line or a little too moist for some smokers, I always use the term "mildly moist". This leaves the decision up to the smoker. You commonly see me mention this on crumble cakes, plugs or wet aromatics.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you very much for the early review, @JimInks! This sounds very interesting.

How would you compare it to Low Country Waccamaw? It sounds like it has the same or similar components but with the addition of Basma and the 2019 red cavendish Virginias.
It's been many years since I smoked Waccamaw, but going on memory, I'd say it was a less complex blend compared to Atalaya. Less spice, too.

Reactions: briarfoxx

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
The thing that peaks my interest about this blend, is not the components in which the blend is comprised (which sound amazing by the way). But the name in itself "Atalaya" which is the name of the elementary school my father, brother, and myself all attended and the school in which my daughters are attending. The main color of the tin art is turquoise which is also the school's team colors. This is the first blend that I can say I'm buying due to the advertising and not the actual product itself which is different for sure but I think I'll love it.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I noticed that the SPC article on this blend states that the Orientals are 2018 Izmir and 2019 Basma. Sun Bear Mountain Flower also used 2018 Izmir and 2019 Basma. I wonder if it’s the same Oriental batches, as it sounds like this blend is also potent as was the Sun Bear Mountain Flower.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I picked up 6 tins. I've been very pleased with their offerings. I also added some Bag Pipers Dream. I did so with some reservations. It's blended by K&K which has me wondering if they changed the blend. Seems to be a reoccurring theme with their latest offerings.
You know I understand that. I'd like to hear what you think of it when you give it a try.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I picked up 6 tins. I've been very pleased with their offerings. I also added some Bag Pipers Dream. I did so with some reservations. It's blended by K&K which has me wondering if they changed the blend. Seems to be a reoccurring theme with their latest offerings.
I picked up those exact same two blends! Plus a couple ounces of Sutliff 515 RC-1 to try out.

I’ve never had Bagpiper’s Dream, so I was going on existing reviews. I hope it’s as good as it’s always been. I’ll also be curious to hear what those who are historically familiar with it have to say about whether it’s changed.