PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
Hello friends. I got my first pipe in college with a 2 oz bag of bulk cherry cavendish from Leavitt & Peirce in Cambridge, MA. I had a tough go of keeping it lit so took up cigars instead. About 10 years ago, I got the itch to try again and bought a basket pipe and some tins recommended by an employee at De La Concha Tobacconist in NYC (RIP). I believe there was a tin of Davidoff and a couple McClelland blends in that batch. Smoked for about a year and then stopped. I picked it up again earlier this year and bought a Dunhill straight prince and several 1 oz bulk samples. I've been going strong since (adding a Castello Opera to the collection during a recent trip to Iwan Ries). I've been mostly smoking aromatics with my current favorites being Autumn Evening, Cult Blood Red Moon, Country Squire White Rose, and the 4noggins Hobbit Weed Match. Nicotine hits me pretty hard so I stick to the low-nic aros. Looking forward to the fall and winter seasonal blend releases. I'm open to recommendations on pipes and tobacco. Thanks!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A warm welcome! Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
A warm welcome! Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.
Done. Thanks!

Reactions: jlopez and jpmcwjr

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Hello from Minneapolis.

You’ll probably like Wilke Vermont Maple then…

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
Welcome from Pennsylvania and New York.

I wish there were more brick and mortar shops with decent selections in New York City, but, there’s a paucity these days. Sin taxes are high and many places closed up or moved out of state years ago.
Yes. I stopped by Barclay Rex yesterday and there was only a small selection of pipe tobaccos and each tin was $24+. They had the new Sun Bear in stock but a tin was like $26. They also had some bulk tobacco in jars but the employee working the store didn't know much about them when I asked.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from another person from the Hub of The Universe. I was born in Boston in 1957 and then left to start a business about an hour away in Rhode Island. Moved to Florida with my 4 kids and wife and been here ever since.
I am a big fan of Leavitt and Pierce way more so that Peretti's
who used to take pride in treating their customers like shit. I will give you the same advice I give to all pipe smokers. Jump with both into the deep water because when you don't drown, you will be an honest to goodness pipe smoker.

First thing I tell people, buy a Savinelli non filtered pipe in the 150.00 range. Once you have smoked a really nice pipe it will give you a baseline for the rest of the pipes you buy and you will automatically be able to discern a shitty pipe that you throw in the trash.
Patience Grasshopper, you will need lots of it and when you do get the first great smoke, you need to pay attention so you can duplicate it.

This site is here for you to ask questions and never feel like they are dumb. I have been here ten years and still ask questions which I know people think are dumb, but I could care less.

I recommend the following easy to get blends
Capstan Blue Flake- straight Virginia and easy to fold and stuff
Peterson Navy Rolls, this is a Virginia/ Perique blend that has some nice sweetness and spice.
If you have a sweet tooth like I do I would grab a tin of Peterson University Flake that has a really nice plum sauce but doesn't over power the Virginia/Burley in it.
Read every thing you can about flake tobacco and I would start cube cutting in the begging.
When you open these tins let them breath a few days and some may need drying before you light up. The best piece of advice I have for you is to never light a pipe without first checking the draw. I want to feel a bit of resistance as if too loose the pipe always goes out, smokes hot and tastes like shit. even when you need to dump ash during your smoke, scrape the sides and tamp down again to get that perfect draw. Pipe smoking is an art and takes a lot of patience. One las thing go to tobaccoreviews.com and try to find people who have similar tastes as you do. Also there is a couple of prolific reviewers, jiminks and pipestud. Both are actice members here and will answer your questions. I hope I didn't bore the shit out of you but You come from the Hub of the Universe and you deserve as much good advice as I can come up with If I find more nuggets I will pass them along if you want me to. Good luck in your journey, I hope you stay with us. I keep trying to get my 2 daughter s to smoke a pipe with me but they are into vaping.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello friends. I got my first pipe in college with a 2 oz bag of bulk cherry cavendish from Leavitt & Peirce in Cambridge, MA. I had a tough go of keeping it lit so took up cigars instead. About 10 years ago, I got the itch to try again and bought a basket pipe and some tins recommended by an employee at De La Concha Tobacconist in NYC (RIP). I believe there was a tin of Davidoff and a couple McClelland blends in that batch. Smoked for about a year and then stopped. I picked it up again earlier this year and bought a Dunhill straight prince and several 1 oz bulk samples. I've been going strong since (adding a Castello Opera to the collection during a recent trip to Iwan Ries). I've been mostly smoking aromatics with my current favorites being Autumn Evening, Cult Blood Red Moon, Country Squire White Rose, and the 4noggins Hobbit Weed Match. Nicotine hits me pretty hard so I stick to the low-nic aros. Looking forward to the fall and winter seasonal blend releases. I'm open to recommendations on pipes and tobacco. Thanks!
but what kind of nerd? At this point calling someone a nerd is like calling an animal a bird, might be totally true but not that descriptive. As much difference between a humming bird and an owl as there is between that guy who lives in moms basement because he talks Pokemon during every job interview as there is between the guy who lives in his moms basement because it's easier then moving the lab and he's this close to a break through or ten (and then there is whatever type I am who often makes stupid jokes).

Reactions: jlopez

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since you stop and start pipe smoking, as I have over time, be sure to hang onto your pipes and a blend or two if you take a hiatus. Somehow, I had the instinct to keep my pipes, so I have the first one I ever bought, a Tinder Box St. Ives, a French made house pipe, which is still nice looking and smokes well.

You might enjoy trying a non-aromatic or two, many of which are available in low-nicotine blends. I'd recommend a single leaf each of a Virginia and one of burley, which are the most common base leaves for many blends, but smoke well "neat," and also make a nice mixture done to your own preferred proportions. Low nicotine examples are denoted by "strength" ratings at the online retailers. Many are very mild. I'd buy these in bulk, just an ounce or two for samples.

I enjoy some aromatics, but tend toward non-aromatics for nuance and refined flavor.