Who has Smoked Cornell and Diehl Anthology 1992-2022?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I didn't buy Anthology, so what I'm about to write has nothing to do with it. The pipe world is no different from the cigar world in labeling the same product with multiple different labels. 1Q might be the champion for that. Or they take the same base and alter the topping on it and declare it a new blend.

Why? It works to wring more profit from a blend with minimal effort. People will have several different labels of the same blend and will swear they're all different. This is certainly true of pipe smokers. And we're now seeing that manufacturers are switching out contents and keeping the label the same because it's got a following and it's easier to do that.

Deceptive practices are a long tradition and widespread throughout a number of markets. That's why some small number of laws were enacted to attempt to curb at least some of this activity. When was the last time you saw an ad featuring a doctor recommending which brand of cigarettes is best for you like Sweet Caparol Cigarettes, once upon a time a huge name, used to do?

I worked on enough commercials early in my career, literally hundreds of them, to get quite an earful about how marketing works to subliminally manipulate John Q Public. You're relied upon to kid yourselves.

View attachment 158316
I think I said the same, only a little more concisely. I think.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I didn't buy Anthology, so what I'm about to write has nothing to do with it. The pipe world is no different from the cigar world in labeling the same product with multiple different labels. 1Q might be the champion for that. Or they take the same base and alter the topping on it and declare it a new blend.

Why? It works to wring more profit from a blend with minimal effort. People will have several different labels of the same blend and will swear they're all different. This is certainly true of pipe smokers. And we're now seeing that manufacturers are switching out contents and keeping the label the same because it's got a following and it's easier to do that.

Deceptive practices are a long tradition and widespread throughout a number of markets. That's why some small number of laws were enacted to attempt to curb at least some of this activity. When was the last time you saw an ad featuring a doctor recommending which brand of cigarettes is best for you like Sweet Caparol Cigarettes, once upon a time a huge name, used to do?

I worked on enough commercials early in my career, literally hundreds of them, to get quite an earful about how marketing works to subliminally manipulate John Q Public. You're relied upon to kid yourselves.

View attachment 158316
I’m was a Marboro cigarette man myself you know flavor country speaking of marketing ?

pharaohfitz

Lurker
May 13, 2010
Erehwon
Title edited for caps, and reworded.

Any reports/impressions/reviews on Cornell and diehl anthology 1992-2022? I’ve only seen jiminks review and just curious about others impressions and thoughts on the blend.

Just went through thread. If you want to smoke it now, I like the advice to open and let it rest a few weeks. The moisture content was a bit high in my first tin with the paper inside almost damp. The perique seems to really be more moisture sensitive than the other tobacco as it taste like barnyard if too damp and with some air time it is not spicy but more figgy and works as part of the blend much better. Trying this in different Briar, Greek (Upshall) Italian (Castello), clay, meerschaum, morta and calabash.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I have to say after smoking about a half ounce, it's really great tobacco. The way the Virginia's work with each other create such a sweet smoke and the way the perique melds with the sweet tones and buttery bread notes its ? dare I say the best Va/Per blend money can buy...... naa because I havnt tried everything. But compared to Dunbar and Escudo and st james flake and Louisiana Flake etc, etc. I enjoy this a bit more. And I can only imagine, it's going to only get better with some years on it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
So I smoked my first bowl this evening.

Fine combination of red Virginias from various years. The Bijou Virginia mellows the whole thing and lends a sort of molasses note, while the 2018 and 2020 reds give it a tangy, sweet, woody, earth flavor. I can't say I noticed the Canadian Bright all that much, but it probably helped to thin the flavor somewhat.

The Perique was figgy and not sharp, most likely due to the percentage and other leaf in the mix - I picked up on a hint of grape flavor about mid bowl.

I folded and stuffed a few flakes after a modest dry time. Lit easily and smoked well with a few relights now and then (just because I'm in the habit of setting my pipes down for a spell during a smoke). No rough edges, most of the components have several years of age already.

A top shelf VaPer. And there a lot of them out there... This one is in the top percentile, and I'm happy I bought some to stash away after I first heard about it and considered passing on it.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
A top shelf VaPer. And there a lot of them out there... This one is in the top percentile, and I'm happy I bought some to stash away after I first heard about it and considered passing on it.
I've really been enjoying this one. Just a tasty, delicious smoke. I'm glad I bought a few extra tins to keep around. This one is a home run for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ask me about buying 4 tins of it ?

A little deceptive, but I like it a lot so I just consider it an intro to Oriental Silk, which would have taken me a lot longer to get around to trying.
I bought five pounds of it during a sale years ago when you could still get it for $20/pound. After smoking it I proceeded to buy 10 more pounds.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I was only able to get 1 tin of it in an order due to limitations...
Can't find it available anymore
So it may be a while before I open my single source and enjoy the pleasure
Oddly, I thought initially it might be a good one to buy extra of and include in a secret santa gift exchange this winter. At this rate I might be hoping to be the recipient rather than the giver. puffy

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I was only able to get 1 tin of it in an order due to limitations...
Can't find it available anymore
So it may be a while before I open my single source and enjoy the pleasure
Oddly, I thought initially it might be a good one to buy extra of and include in a secret santa gift exchange this winter. At this rate I might be hoping to be the recipient rather than the giver. puffy
Well you can disregard my sadness and public lament of only having gotten 1 tin.
A forum member came to my immediate rescue by privately sending me a link to a shop that had them in stock, and no limits on an order in my relatively small #.
Thank you!

Last edited:
My wife put her foot down for the first time against a pipe tobacco last night. She has tolerated my stinkier cigar blends, burleys, and latakia for years. But, I was smoking the last of my Anthology while watching TV last night, and her eyes turned red and she started coughing. She said it smelled like acidic hickory smoke. I was perplexed, because it tasted good. So, I just set that pipe aside and packed up what I had left of some Star of the East and she was fine.

The tin smell is interesting. It does smell just like hog shit. Has anyone else noticed this? A lot of C&Ds have this aroma, but it seems especially pungent in this one, and the room I dried the tin out in smelled barn-yardy for a few days.
I thought that they barn yard smell was from burleys in other blends, but I have never encountered that smell in either other virginia blends nor when curing my own. And, even when standing in the middle of La Poche, it didn’t smell like that.

I am a C&D fanboy, so no hate on this, but WTF?!