PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Since retiring my 1-2 bowls per day is increasing. Along with beer consumption. I'm loving retirement.
I'm enjoying my retirement as well. I smoke 2 to 4 bowls a day. Retired in 2013 at 55 years old.
So I guess you can still find things to do and keep active without having to go to work every week? Sorry I had to comment because I know so many people that are afraid of retirement because they won't know what to do with themselves. Which confuses me.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I admit theres a real adjustment for sure. The world slows down and it feels like I've gotten my childhood freedoms back. I live off grid and I homestead pretty hardcore so I'm always busy (gardening, canning, raise chickens, livestock, etc). I've never been a indoor/couch potato guy, I need to keep busy and I enjoy it. I can also fish any day I want. Summer or winter. I was never a morning guy and hated rushing around to get to work. I like to wake up at dawn, a normal circadian rhythm, have coffee and chill.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
what style did you try? I recommend the los since you can make a smaller or larger pinch depending on your needs. Since I started using snus and snuff I have found that if I smoke a cig it literally just makes my throat feel slightly sore. Snus can really pack a punch. That might explain why the only time I've ever felt off from a pipe was if I smoked semois without watching my pace in a larger bowl. That made me feel slightly woozy. My girlfriend doesn't smoke and seems to not get addicted to nicotine but will take a pinch of snus if she needs a little boost. And literally takes a pinch that is half the size of what I make for her when trying to make a tiny little non smokers pinch. I don't know if any of that makes a difference. Also los tastes better.

I was speaking of General Snus, Wintergreen pouches were the last I tried. You are talking about loose snus?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I admit theres a real adjustment for sure. The world slows down and it feels like I've gotten my childhood freedoms back. I live off grid and I homestead pretty hardcore so I'm always busy (gardening, canning, raise chickens, livestock, etc). I've never been a indoor/couch potato guy, I need to keep busy and I enjoy it. I can also fish any day I want. Summer or winter. I was never a morning guy and hated rushing around to get to work.
I had a few years of retirement in my mid twenties (I had the cash and figured free time was worth more then money, so why not) and the thing was I was way more productive then ever. The best part is I could do all my chores and other things I needed to and still have time to just relax and entertain myself. The thing I miss most is being able to take long hikes several times a week. I never understood the couch potato thing especially when there are so many things to do and so little time.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I was speaking of General Snus, Wintergreen pouches were the last I tried. You are talking about loose snus?
yes loose or los snus is so superior to pouches. And it's not hard to make a prilla (pinch) it just takes some time to get the knack. But in a month you should be able to do it in the dark solely by feel. The trick is you don't use much pressure it's more of a gently teasing it into shape. But except for the fact you need to pick up an easy skill or buy a portioner it's better then pouches in every way.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
yes loose or los snus is so superior to pouches. And it's not hard to make a prilla (pinch) it just takes some time to get the knack. But in a month you should be able to do it in the dark solely by feel. The trick is you don't use much pressure it's more of a gently teasing it into shape. But except for the fact you need to pick up an easy skill or buy a portioner it's better then pouches in every way.

Hmm, I will look into it. I accidentally swallowed some sinus juice today and it made me a tad nauseous.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Hmm, I will look into it. I accidentally swallowed some sinus juice today and it made me a tad nauseous.
one thing great about los is it's drier and you don't get juice though until you get it right you'll get bits that fall off. Weirdly that is less irritating to digestion. I can swallow a whole pinch and feel fine but the pouch juice slightly bothers me.

Jan 27, 2020
one thing great about los is it's drier and you don't get juice though until you get it right you'll get bits that fall off. Weirdly that is less irritating to digestion. I can swallow a whole pinch and feel fine but the pouch juice slightly bothers me.

I also don't like disposing of the pouches feels like excess waste.

Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 27, 2020
they are compostable they are made of corn silk.

Oh that's good, didn't know. With covid when I'm out and about I don't want people seeing me pull something out of my mouth (well, probably under normal circumstances too). They look kinda nasty, almost like an illegal substance (guess they actually are in the EU).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Oh that's good, didn't know. With covid when I'm out and about I don't want people seeing me pull something out of my mouth (well, probably under normal circumstances too). They look kinda nasty, almost like an illegal substance (guess they actually are in the EU).
in the EU you can't sell them. You could fill a truck with them and hand them out to anyone of legal age. But a store can't carry them. Yeah I've gotten stealthy about removing the pinch and good at tossing it into the bushes from a surprisingly far distance. It's all in the wrist.

Jan 27, 2020
in the EU you can't sell them. You could fill a truck with them and hand them out to anyone of legal age. But a store can't carry them. Yeah I've gotten stealthy about removing the pinch and good at tossing it into the bushes from a surprisingly far distance. It's all in the wrist.

I feel like less of a degenerate now that you told me what they're made of as I sometimes shamefully throw them on the sidewalk and rub them into a brown smudge. I do worry a dog might lick one but likely they're smarter than us about such things.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I feel like less of a degenerate now that you told me what they're made of as I sometimes shamefully throw them on the sidewalk and rub them into a brown smudge. I do worry a dog might lick one but likely they're smarter than us about such things.
my first cat would eat chewing tobacco if he got the chance. Never made him sick, yes he was tougher then most people.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Those little teeth must masticate the tobacco real good.
nope he just swallowed it whole the first time he grabbed a pinch of redman out of one of my dads friends hands. This guy went through several pouches a day since one pouch gave him four or five pinches. The cat swooped in grabbed and swallowed in a matter of seconds. I followed him around for hours to make sure he was o.k. he was. So I think at worst a dog eating a pouch of used snus will be o.k..

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I didnt know cats were known to masticate.. seems like it'd be hard with those little paws.
when I was in high school we had a film making class I took and one of our films was me interviewing random people. One of our questions was how often do you masticate during an average day. Apparently most people don't. The two best responses one person asked what mastication was. One girl knew what it was and gave an accurate answer that she did a great job of making sound dirty.