Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
EVERYTIME I GO TO CLICK "COMLETE PURCHASE" AT A TOBACCO E-TAILER
OHiIcq.gif

Jan 27, 2020
I am not Roman Catholic, but I grew up in Chicago where Catholicism is likely the largest plurality religion, so I was partly raised Catholic through my peers despite not being of that religion. My childhood next-door buddy, a college friend from St. Louis who was the best man at my first wedding, and one of two bosses who became friends were all Roman Catholic. Catholicism can have some negative effects on people, if my observations serve me, but with my three friends, it left them with a noble sense of perspective and an accurate and insightful conscience. Only the Quakers in the Protestant sphere have the same sort of collective qualities, though the qualities are different. Sorry to go off track here, but your upbringing rang a bell with me. A sense of scarcity can be a good thing, yes.

I do agree with your observations especially when considering the Jesuits who are likely the most educated order in any religion.

Reactions: BROBS

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I do agree with your observations especially when considering the Jesuits who are likely the most educated order in any religion.
Maybe in 1600, (only counting Europe). Years spent memorizing liturgy does not equal a higher education.

On a similar note, catholics in general, are in the lower end of education level:
FT_16.10.06_educationReligiousGroups.png

Reactions: saltedplug
Jan 27, 2020
Maybe in 1600, (only counting Europe). Years spent memorizing liturgy does not equal a higher education.

On a similar note, catholics in general, are in the lower end of education level:
View attachment 41902

Jesuits are a rather small order, why do you assume that I would assume that they performed a miracle and lifted the education level of the average catholic? The jesuits I’ve know spoke five or more languages fluently, using that as the most easily communicated litmus.

Reactions: timelord

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Jesuits are a rather small order, why do you assume that I would assume that they performed a miracle and lifted the education level of the average catholic? The jesuits I’ve know spoke five or more languages fluently, using that as the most easily communicated litmus.
My grandpa spoke 5 languages. He dropped out in grade 4.

I have a very good Franciscan friend, and I'm aware of the Catholic university system, where a all the orders attend, and it's a slightly elevated version of a Bible college.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So the percentage of Catholics with a college education is higher than the percentage of people in Edmonton with one. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My grandpa spoke 5 languages. He dropped out in grade 4.

I have a very good Franciscan friend, and I'm aware of the Catholic university system, where a all the orders attend, and it's a slightly elevated version of a Bible college.
It’s amazing you’ve been to all of them and completed a course to know!!

also that percentage of Catholics with a college degree is low because of immigrants from Latin America. What religion are 99% of immigrants from Latin America?

I’d be a lot more interested to see the data for those born in the US. You obviously have something against Catholics and that’s fine. Jesus has his eye on you, boy.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s also sad that the average IQ in Edmonton is 83 when a normal average is 100. Must be a lot of Catholics eh? ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Also since there are more Catholics than other offshoot and fringe religious groups here’s a quote from your source:
“Since Catholics make up one-in-five adults, it is not surprising that their share of members with a college degree (26%) roughly mirrors that of the general public.”

Reactions: timelord

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
It’s amazing you’ve been to all of them and completed a course to know!!

also that percentage of Catholics with a college degree is low because of immigrants from Latin America. What religion are 99% of immigrants from Latin America?

I’d be a lot more interested to see the data for those born in the US. You obviously have something against Catholics and that’s fine. Jesus has his eye on you, boy.
You make a great point about Latin Americans. I just think it's a bold statement to say anything is the best in the world. So, he knows a couple Jesuits. I would hazard to say that none of us have broad enough of a knowledge on the topic of religious orders to say something that definitively. It's incredible how many orders there are, just within catholicism. Here's a Wikipedia page which lists all of the catholic "teaching orders". Teaching order - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_order
Jesuits are on there, but do we know much about the others? How many of them have we actually heard of? What about Orthodox orders, Jewish Orders, Islamic, Hindu, Anglican, Buddhist, Sikh, Confucian, etc?

Reactions: NomadOrb and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You make a great point about Latin Americans. I just think it's a bold statement to say anything is the best in the world. So, he knows a couple Jesuits. I would hazard to say that none of us have broad enough of a knowledge on the topic of religious orders to say something that definitively. It's incredible how many orders there are, just within catholicism. Here's a Wikipedia page which lists all of the catholic "teaching orders". Teaching order - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_order
Jesuits are on there, but do we know much about the others? How many of them have we actually heard of? What about Orthodox orders, Jewish Orders, Islamic, Hindu, Anglican, Buddhist, Sikh, Confucian, etc?
Very true. No clue about them. Though if I had to hazard a guess there’s probably 200 Jesuits or Catholic Order to 1 of those you mention. So comparison in that way is hard also.

Status
Not open for further replies.