Cornell & Diehl - Bayou Morning (I Like)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
2 Fresh Pete Prevost Pipes
12 Fresh Ardor Pipes
36 Fresh Chacom Pipes
9 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No question flake, coin, plug and rope smoke longer, retain their flavors in the jar or tin longer, and often provide a blend greater integration of flavors. However loose tobacco sure has the edge for convenience if there is any competition for your time. C&D Bayou Night is a quite different blend from Bayou Morning, but a fine one, of its sort.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
No question flake, coin, plug and rope smoke longer, retain their flavors in the jar or tin longer, and often provide a blend greater integration of flavors. However loose tobacco sure has the edge for convenience if there is any competition for your time. C&D Bayou Night is a quite different blend from Bayou Morning, but a fine one, of its sort.
The other thing I have noticed with flakes is that the flavors really tend to deepen as a bowl goes on. Loose can do the same thing but with flakes it is more noticeable.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Can anyone compare this to Chenets Cake? Obviously the cut is different, but is the flavor similar? Both are Virginia blends by C&D with a big helping of perique.

sgh

Lurker
Nov 22, 2019
May I suggest:

G. L. Pease
Haddo's Delight (VaPer) [I see I'm not the first]
Blackpoint (light/medium Latakia)
Embarcadero (VaOr)

I haven't tried them, but I understand Gaslight and Lagonda are Latakia-heavy, if that's something you want to try. My Blackpoint and Embarcadero are nearly 10 years old, and it sometimes takes real willpower to leave those jars closed.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
May I suggest:

G. L. Pease
Embarcadero (VaOr)

I haven't tried them, but I understand Gaslight and Lagonda are Latakia-heavy, if that's something you want to try. My Blackpoint and Embarcadero are nearly 10 years old, and it sometimes takes real willpower to leave those jars closed.
Blackpoint is pretty good from the get-go, with a couple years of age it's next level good!!

Reactions: sgh

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
My Blackpoint and Embarcadero are nearly 10 years old, and it sometimes takes real willpower to leave those jars closed.

I compliment your willpower but suggest you go ahead and open the Blackpoint. (Actually I'd suggest you should have opened it's six or seven years ago). I've learned the hard way that letting a latikia-heavy blend age too long isn't doing it any favors. Hopefully your Blackpoint hasn't lost too much flavor. I happen to really like it at three or four years.

Reactions: diamondback

sgh

Lurker
Nov 22, 2019
I compliment your willpower but suggest you go ahead and open the Blackpoint. (Actually I'd suggest you should have opened it's six or seven years ago). I've learned the hard way that letting a latikia-heavy blend age too long isn't doing it any favors. Hopefully your Blackpoint hasn't lost too much flavor. I happen to really like it at three or four years.

Oh I'm just talking about wanting to unscrew the lid and take a whiff. My Blackpoint and Embarcadero are out of their tins. I dunno how much smokiness got lost in aging, but it's still excellent.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
May I suggest:

G. L. Pease
Embarcadero (VaOr)

Throw yourself a tin of GLP’s Odyssey in there if you’ve yet to try it. That’s one of those blends that when I settle into the chuff, almost every puff draws something interesting across my tastebuds.

It’s like hanging out with a tough-as-nails Navy Seal who makes insightful and interesting conversation... err... but yeah, I like it!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
May I suggest:

G. L. Pease
Embarcadero (VaOr)

Will second the rec for all three of these. I am smoking through my first tin of Blackpoint, and I love it. To me, it is everything Nightcap should have been, and I don't think I've ever had a better Latakia w/ Perique blend. Haddo's and Embarcadero are pretty unique blends, and I really enjoy both.

I'd also suggest the Watch City VaPers, Flake #558 and Old Dominion. Both have considerably less perique than Bayou Morning, but are outstanding.

Reactions: diamondback

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Can anyone compare this to Chenets Cake? Obviously the cut is different, but is the flavor similar? Both are Virginia blends by C&D with a big helping of perique.
BM and Chenet’s Cake are totally different from one another. Chenet’s is like Old Joe Krantz, if I was forced to find something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.