Cornell & Diehl - Bayou Morning (I Like)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have been trying non-aromatics for the past few weeks or so and enjoying the journey. I just smoked some Cornell & Diehl - Bayou Morning this evening and have to say it's my new favorite. I guess it is a Virginia/Perique blend. Any recommendations for my next step on the journey to enjoying non-aromatics? Thanks briar brothers!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Bayou Morning Flake!

and also
Dan Salty Dogs
Escudo
RO Firestorm
Peterson (Dunhill) Navy Rolls
Marlin Flake
Old Gowrie

Thats just Vapers. Do you do english or straight va blends?

Reactions: dcon

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I want to try english or straight va blends in a big way. Where to start?

relatively easy to get and great:

English:

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding
GL Pease Maltese Falcon
Arango/Stokkebye Balkan Supreme
Peterson (Dunhill) Nightcap
Boswell Northwoods

VA:

GL Pease Union Square
Capstan Blue
C and D Carolina Red Flake
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

There are some great ones that are tougher to get (Esoterica English blends, McClelland VAs, etc.) and plenty more great ones that are easy to get, but those are a good place to start.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks gents.

just ordered Capstan Blue, Plum Pudding, and Haunted Bookshop

Some fine options! Enjoy!

One thing I will say is there is a lot of variety within those blend types, so if one you got doesn’t suit your fancy, jar it and try it in a few months. In the meantime order a couple other English and VA blends to try some different ones. There is a lot of different stuff out there, so don’t judge a category by one blend!

I made the mistake of writing off VAs when I first started because the first one I had SUCKED ASS! Now they are some of my favorite blends.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Some fine options! Enjoy!

One thing I will say is there is a lot of variety within those blend types, so if one you got doesn’t suit your fancy, jar it and try it in a few months. In the meantime order a couple other English and VA blends to try some different ones. There is a lot of different stuff out there, so don’t judge a category by one blend!

I made the mistake of writing off VAs when I first started because the first one I had SUCKED ASS! Now they are some of my favorite blends.

Thanks. I’ll keep this in mind. I like variety and options, so this strategy is right down my alley.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
just ordered Capstan Blue, Plum Pudding, and Haunted Bookshop

Good picks. I'd add some GL Pease to your must try list list. Westminster, Blackpoint, or Quiet Nights are all great English/Balkans worth exploring. Haddo's Delight is also one of Pease's classics. It's categorized as a VaPer but that description doesn't really do it justice. It's pretty unique.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Good picks. I'd add some GL Pease to your must try list list. Westminster, Blackpoint, or Quiet Nights are all great English/Balkans worth exploring. Haddo's Delight is also one of Pease's classics. It's categorized as a VaPer but that description doesn't really do it justice. It's pretty unique.

I’ll be coming back to this thread for weeks to come. Over time, I’m going to try a little of everything mentioned here. Fun! Thanks so much.

Reactions: UncleRasta

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Perique:
  • C&D Old Joe Krantz
  • H&H Acadian Perique
  • DTM ST. Bernard

VA:
-HH Pure Virginia
  • DTM Skipper's Flake
  • G&H Brown flake U/S

Latakia:
  • Peterson Old Dublin
  • C&D Engine 99
  • Peterstokkebye Balkan Supreme

Reactions: danimalia

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I'm also a fan of Bayou Morning. Two blends of the same genre (Va/Per), that I like, but that are a bit more subtle are Dunhill (now Peterson) Elizabethan Mixture and GL Pease Stratford.

Back then, when I still was smoking Englisch blends, my favourites were Dunhill (now Peterson) Nightcap and MacBaren Vintage Syrian, which is now out of production.

Reactions: rogers

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I'm also a fan of Bayou Morning. Two blends of the same genre (Va/Per), that I like, but that are a bit more subtle are Dunhill (now Peterson) Elizabethan Mixture and GL Pease Stratford.

Back then, when I still was smoking Englisch blends, my favourites were Dunhill (now Peterson) Nightcap and MacBaren Vintage Syrian, which is now out of production.

Thanks, burleyboy.

Reactions: burleyboy

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I'm also branching out from aromatics. I'll add Bayou Mornings to my list. Quiet Nights already on the way from SP. Bookmarking this thread as a tool to further enable TAD.

Let me know which tobaccos resonate with you. We can compare notes, since we are basically in the same place on this journey...

Reactions: Bowie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have been trying non-aromatics for the past few weeks or so and enjoying the journey. I just smoked some Cornell & Diehl - Bayou Morning this evening and have to say it's my new favorite. I guess it is a Virginia/Perique blend. Any recommendations for my next step on the journey to enjoying non-aromatics? Thanks briar brothers!
if you haven't tried university flake yet I really highly recommend that one. I'd say it's a wide spectrum Virginia. It seems to have a wide range between lighter and darker Virginias and then some other leafs some a little rarer. It's interesting and super tasty. Oh and it's the one that started my shift from mostly smoking aromatics to more tobacco forward blends (now it's one aromatic to every five non-aro, before Univesity Flak it was the other way round.), so basically I like that one a lot, and would say there is a good chance you will too ( cause it's really tasty.)
Forgot to add also anything that just really grabs your fancy (even if it's just the tin art is just really cool, never hurts to have good tin art.)

Status
Not open for further replies.