PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
I smoke from three to six bowls most days. Each is usually a different tobacco depending on my mood. Sometimes a particular tobacco just hits the spot such that I stay with it for a bowl or two, but not often. It obviously is a habit on some level, but not "just" a habit. Rather a very cultivated habit for the purpose of the enjoyment it gives me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nothing against the guy who only smokes periodically and may take months to finish a single blend.
Absolutly. I go back and forth between the types of smoking. I've been on a big deertongue kick lately and have been exclusively smoking blends that contain it for the past few weeks and only changed up today with Rich Dark Honeydew. Maybe some Black Frigate in the morning with coffee, maybe some Brown Sugar Flake.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
is it just a habit?
What do you mean "Just a habit"? I try hard to make all my daily habits (eating, smoking, morning coffee, other things I won't get into) as pleasurable and interesting as possible. Quotidian pleasures are where it's at in life, as far as I'm concerned. If I'm working at home near my stash, I can put away a dozen bowls in a day, each of them a different outstanding tobacco, and enjoy every last one. Unless I burn my tongue early on, in which case I switch to cigars.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Why can habitual smokes not be good? I smoke the likes of Penzace and McClelland when working, doing yard work, or reading all of the time and enjoy every one. Even when I smoke cigarettes I fully enjoy that too.
That's exactly what has been on my mind but I really couldn't come to an end so I decided to create this thread.
I smoked cigarettes for 15 years and about 3 out of 10 per day were really spot on, the rest was more or less an unnecessary habit which was somewhat pleasant, but not even close to times when the body needed a nic hit.

What do you mean "Just a habit"? I try hard to make all my daily habits (eating, smoking, morning coffee, other things I won't get into) as pleasurable and interesting as possible. Quotidian pleasures are where it's at in life, as far as I'm concerned. If I'm working at home near my stash, I can put away a dozen bowls in a day, each of them a different outstanding tobacco, and enjoy every last one. Unless I burn my tongue early on, in which case I switch to cigars.
By just I mean those smokes which are caused by the need to have a pipe in the hand and puf on it, regardless the blend or the intentional enjoying a specific flavour.

Question #2: I'm not one of those, but I imagine that those who are would say... that it's none of your business?
Nice one. :D That kind of answer would probably tell that a "sweet spot" has been hit and somebody would feel unpleasant about smoking that much.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
luigi: What's your definition of a "good smoke?" "5 bowls" is pretty arbitrary. How did you arrive a "5"?

It's been many years since I've experienced a bow less than "good" by my definition. I smoke more than "5" bowls a day because I enjoy my pipe. If I didn't enjoy my pipes I'd not smoke pipes and stick with cigars and cigarettes.
My amateur understanding of a "good smoke" would be every smoke that is really pleasant for at least half of the time when I'm smoking. I knew somebody would ask why "5 bowls". ? Roughly 5 bowls is a limit that I rarely exceed during the day. I wish my body would allow me to clench and enjoy more different tobaccos but assuming that one pipeful lasts approximately 45min and if one smokes 5 bowls a day that would be almost 4 hours of holding a pipe. And that's quite a lot for having one hand occupied for let's say 25% of the time when being awake. :D

Reactions: bnichols23

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
By just I mean those smokes which are caused by the need to have a pipe in the hand and puf on it, regardless the blend or the intentional enjoying a specific flavour.
Yeah, I honestly don't have smokes like that in a pipe. When I smoked cigarettes, sure - I didn't give a damn what they tasted like, for the most part. I've finished tens of thousands (literally) of cigarettes I didn't actually want or enjoy, but I'll dump a pipe or at least put it down the instant I stop enjoying it. It's a much different habit.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Yeah, I honestly don't have smokes like that in a pipe. When I smoked cigarettes, sure - I didn't give a damn what they tasted like, for the most part. I've finished tens of thousands (literally) of cigarettes I didn't actually want or enjoy, but I'll dump a pipe or at least put it down the instant I stop enjoying it. It's a much different habit.
Well I cought myself a few times smoking on even when there wasn't any joy any more. ? I'm glad it was in time before I continue that bad habit from cigarettes.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The longer I go between smokes, the better the smoke is. I tend to smoke just because I'm outside. No indoor smoking for me. But days we spend mostly driving around with the daughter, I dont smoke as much. So after a 3 hour long car ride, with 3 hours of shopping in between, the following smoke is heaven.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
How often do you have a bowl which could be defined a good smoke?
If you're one of those who smoke more than 5 bowls a day, is it just a habit?

I know exactly what you mean, and I'm trying to eliminate the "habitual" smokes from my smoking habit. Once I smoke a certain number of bowls in any given day, I usually start to suffer from palate fatigue and then enjoy my subsequent smokes less. Yesterday I smoked two bowls - one when I got home from work, and one after dinner. The after-dinner pipe of GLP Quiet Nights was excellent.

The longer I go between smokes, the better the smoke is.

+1

Reactions: upnorth1
Status
Not open for further replies.